Pre-1997 Models

torque / fuel ecomomy

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque / fuel ecomomy

I have a 1990 bronco with the 5.8 and E4OD trans. it's got 125000 miles on it, very dependable, runs smooth, no oil leaks at all, overall it's a damn good truck; BUT I only get 10 or 11 mpg (it's all tuned up and no codes, etc....it's always been this way) . everything is totally stock. I was thinking I would get a good free flowing exhaust system done, and then maybe a K&N 'FIPK' air filter and intake. I was wondering if anyone has tried these on a truck like mine and if the result would be worth it. Next step would be to change out the cam for one that produces more low end torque ( I've got 3.54 gears and 31" tires) - - I probably should replace the timing chain soon anyway with over 100K miles so it would not be a big deal to change the cam at that time.. So tell me what you guys think, am I on the right track here? ... I'm not sure its worth it to dump much money in this Bronco, but on the other hand it's paid for, and it's in real nice condition overall, so it might be the smartest way to go rather than get something newer. Thanks for any suggestions!

Quick Reply: torque / fuel ecomomy