Pre-1997 Models

Replacement Engine/Swaps

Old 03-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Engine/Swaps

Well my 5.0L EFI just died. I used to have 8 cylinders, but now have 7 that work. With the wear indicated by a compression and leakge test, the rest aren't likely to hold up much longer. No time to do a swap or rebuild myself. How much should I expect to pay for a remanufactured engine such as a Jasper, installed. Other ideas will be appreciated. I have been told that a 351 won't just bolt in, some driveline work is required.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jasper is good..napa sells engines too...theres allways a new crate engine from ford...but is'nt it too bad things ar'nt like they used to be?..in 1974 we had a brand new F-100 that had a 302 in it and a 3 on the tree...well that did'nt cut it towing a race car and etc...so WAY before the warranty was up we voided it by installing a 390 G-T 4V with a fairbanks C-6 in it...talk about power!..and it was relativly easy to do...now a dayzzzz...ahhhh history....(i wonder where that truck is now?) ...zap!

Old 03-21-2005, 06:42 PM
hey, if your pulling out a 302 and wanna go with a 351 as far as tranny and fame matters all you will need is the 351 mounts for your truck. any parts store should be able to get them. but as far as your bracket for alt. and power steering is concerned you will have to find the brackets for a 351 instead of a 302

Old 03-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Actually all your accessory brackets and motor mounts will work. Just need to get a longer belt. The exhaust would have to be reworked a little due to the 351 being wider. The least amount of work would be to just replace the 302 and be done with it. You may have to get a pcm and possibly a wiring harness for a swap.

Robbie

Old 03-24-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks, a new 5.0L Jasper and clutch is now installed, what a difference. Replaced/rebult everything from the radiator to the transmission, some things will just have to wait.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad to read all is well...keep us posted as to how the performance and overall everyday abuse is holding up ...zap!

Old 04-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Hey,

I'm looking at some work on my truck. How much did the work you just described cost you?

Just curious...I'm not doing anything until next fall and I'm doing the same things but w/ a 300. Just wanted to know what I can expect.

Still looking at options - rebuild kit, complete overhaul, rem. engine, or crate engine.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Suspended
does any one know if a 97 302 engine will fit in a 94 truck that had a 302.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:14 PM
To Dharris 75 - the engine and installation kit cost $2,000 and the shop charged 1200 to remove and reinstall. I added a new clutch package and had the starter and alternator rebuilt - these were extra. It wasn't cheap. But they did a great job.

One thing to note - this model has an internal clutch slave cylinder and the shop didn't replace it. Now 2 weeks later it is shot and the trans has to come out again. Go ahead and ask for that to be replaced while they are at it. We are still negotiating for the repair cost on this one as I think since the the internal slave cylinder is so hard to get to it should have been replaced - I don't mind paying a few more dollars for parts to save a whole lot more on labor. If it had lasted say a year or more I might not have whined but another nearly $700 is putting a hurting on the wallet

I'm no mechanic - what do ya'll think

Old 04-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks...

3200 wasn't that bad. Maybe more than I'm thinking, but labor charges will be minimal (uncle doing work at his shop). So really, I just need a used engine - I6.

We had to replace the slave cylinder in mine (5spd manual). It came out pretty easy. Shop was going to charge me an arm and a leg. My dad said bring it down and we'd do it. Took less than 5 or 6 hours...about 40-60 bucks for the part (been a few years)...and we were up and running.

But yeah, they should have replaced (or at least offered to) when they took it down. The shop that wanted to replace mine wouldn't do it w/out replacing the clutch (even though it didn't need replaced) because they said the wear would be diff. and they'd have to tear it down again in a few months for the clutch. So they wanted an all or nothing. So I picked nothing and did it myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement Engine/Swaps