Pre-1997 Models

How to get trouble codes? Switch on/off??

Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get trouble codes? Switch on/off??

Engine light is on. How do I get the codes by using the ignition switch ( by counting the check engine light flashes )? I tried on/off 3 times and 4 times with no luck.

Also, I could use a link on what the codes mean.

Thanx

Old 03-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Jim -

Seems like the dealer should have taken care of this before it left the lot, since you just bought it.

I would try disconnecting the battery first to reset everything, and then see if you still have the check engine light. I like you am new to the forum and to the F150. But in the little time i have been here, I have never heard of troubleshooting codes using the ignition switch. They always say to hook it up to read the codes. I have read where places like AutoZone will read the codes for you. I hope you have one near you.

Good Luck!
John

Old 03-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Just go and buy a cheap code reader. They are inexpensive and come with instructions for test as well as a listing of what the codes mean. Good investment.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by NCCamper2003
Jim -

Seems like the dealer should have taken care of this before it left the lot, since you just bought it.

They tried. They didnt have the correct plug on thier test equipment ( thier a Chevy/Chrylser dealership ).
Being that this is the older syle, the Ford dealership I stopped at needed me to leave it , which I didnt have time to do.

But in the little time i have been here, I have never heard of troubleshooting codes using the ignition switch. They always say to hook it up to read the codes. I have read where places like AutoZone will read the codes for you. I hope you have one near you.

Good Luck!
John
I live in the counrty. Nearest Autozone is 35 miles away.

There should be a way to do the ignitoin switch test. Most older vehicles can, even Cadillac's have them.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by cleat
Just go and buy a cheap code reader. They are inexpensive and come with instructions for test as well as a listing of what the codes mean. Good investment.
Thier $30+. Why spend the money if there's a way to do it for free? Also, this does not have the typical reader plug under the dash, that was the problem at the delaerships. This one only has the under the hood/engine compartment plug, which I believe, the code reader's wont plug into. It only accepts the large dealership test machines. Thats another reason I'm pretty sure there should be the ignition switch option.

I'll keep looking...

Thanx

Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 PM
All the early fords had the plugs under the hood there are two plugs one sort of triangular one and one single wire one. The readers I can get on sale for around $25.00 CDN. You can fiddle with jumper wires but put one in the wrong spot and fry the ecm and you will be out lots of money and be without a truck for a while.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey Jim -

If you do find something out, please post a note for us. I have the same year F150, and this would seem like some good-to-know info!

Thanks,

Old 03-10-2005, 08:33 PM
The key on/off three times are for chrysler vehicles.
You can get the codes from these with either a voltmeter or engine light by placing a jumper between 2 harness's under the hood. Haynes manuals have the procedure.
I would post how to do it,but you need to look at the pictures to identify the test and ecm harness.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by drown021
The key on/off three times are for chrysler vehicles.
You can get the codes from these with either a voltmeter or engine light by placing a jumper between 2 harness's under the hood. Haynes manuals have the procedure.
I would post how to do it,but you need to look at the pictures to identify the test and ecm harness.
Could you look in your book and tell me if this is correct?

This is supposed to be for 81-95. Not for EEC-V, DI 7.3L Turbo Diesel & Villager.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Hi, my Check Engine Light comes on every once in a while--more frequently I might add. This diagram seems correct--I am although unsure as to the components needed and my skill level--I am sure my mechanic could look at this quickly. my manual is vague as to what this light could mean--any guesses?

Old 03-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Jim,that is the same diagram in my haynes maual.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by drown021
Jim,that is the same diagram in my haynes maual.
Great! Just one more question...

Does the ignition need to be switched on ( but not started ), or off, while doing this?

Thanx much for your help drown021

Jim

Old 03-12-2005, 11:30 AM
according to the manual you should first warm the vehicle up.
Then shut it off.

1)Then it states to place the jumper and then turn the ignition to run without starting it.

2)you can also start it if you want to check for codes with the engine running.

It says you will have either 2 or 3 digit codes.
Pauses between digits will be 2 seconds where as pauses between codes will be 4 seconds.
I have the list of codes also.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanx much Drown021.

My results:
EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE

Mine was a memory code.

I bought a new EGR valve ( $60 ). I will check to see if I can just clean some carbon out of the old one before I install the new one. I'll also check to make sure I've got a good vacuum on the one vac line that goes to it.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
332 codes are very seldom caused by the EGR valve.

Most common causes are either the PFE/DPFE sensor or a restriction/clog in the EGR inlet port into the throttle body/intake.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get trouble codes? Switch on/off??