Pre-1997 Models

Rear window motor on Bonco

Old 03-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window motor on Bonco

I have to replace the rear window motor on my '88 Bronco. I cannot get the window to come down so that I may drop the tailgate and make my life simpler. Any suggestions on this would be a great help.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Re: Rear window motor on Bonco

Originally posted by middleforkman
I have to replace the rear window motor on my '88 Bronco. I cannot get the window to come down so that I may drop the tailgate and make my life simpler. Any suggestions on this would be a great help.
Pull the access panel off the inside of the tailgate. Wedge something between the bottom of the gate and the linkage to keep the window from falling down. Unbolt the motor and replace it. If you absolutely have to have the gate down, you can take the wedge out and slowly let the window come down in it's track. Once the window is all the way down, you can open the gate. If you are going to "raise" the window with the gate down, make sure something or somebody is supporting the glass or it WILL break from it's own weight. Make sure the window is all the back "down" before attempting to close the gate.

SL

Old 03-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Does the motor turn, but the window will not go down, or will the motor just not work? If the motor won't work at all, get someone to hold the switch in the down position and bang on the inside of the tailgate with a rubber mallet. This may cause the motor to free up. If the motor turns, but the window won't move, try to lower the window with the key at the tailgate and push down on the window with your hands.

Robbie

Old 03-09-2005, 07:35 PM
The motor is shot, or at least that is what I can gather. I get power to the plug on the motor, but it doesn't even hum or attempt to turn when I hit the switch. I have already bought a new motor, but getting to it is the tough part and I thought it would be easier with the tailgate down. I have also tried the key switch in the back and nothing happens there either.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
I appreciate the replies I got on this subject. I will be the first to admit that I am an electrician, but after 8 hours and with the help of a battery charger (for power), a bunch of alligator clips and a test light I managed to rewire the entire switch all the way back to the motor.
If anyone needs any help please let me know. I do not want anyone to go through what I did, but I am very pleased with myself for doing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear window motor on Bonco