Pre-1997 Models

95 F150 Performance?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 F150 Performance?

Ok so I have a 95 F150 Ext. Cab 4x4 with the 5.0 engine, 93k miles and the truck is super clean. It has been well maintained and runs very well but I'm wanting to do some things to it to liven up the kick that has sort of faded.
What can I do besides adding a new SI/DO system to this year of truck? Keep in mind that I don't think I will get a tunerchip mod becasue it just doesn't seem like it really adds much for the price of the chip. Is there an air intake upgrade for this year?
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Thumbs down

Well I want to thank everyone who viewed my post and declined to offer any input. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:35 AM
do some searches for 5.0 performance, lots written. read this article before you start, its from performance unlimited about "project MPG". the chip does work GOOD, an best bang for the buck, if you decide to buy get the custom tune-50% more power than the 1715 at a small increased price. read some info about them in the chips section. exhaust works, SI/SO seems to work better, with magnaflow as the best (by the different posters saying that). underdrive pullys, e-fans free up horsepower by reducing parisitic drag-good for upwards of 15hp and for a cheap mod for better air flow search for the "460 intake tube" i've posted about it, costs around $15 and adds an f250 intake tube for increased airflow, add the K&N filter and your set. tranny mods such as FTVB or a shift kit will help in the shifting deptment giving a firmer shift and extended tranny life.
these mod have been done by me and may others and seem to really wake the truck up. hope this helps, good luck and welcome to the site. use the search feature first, ask second

Old 03-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Watson,
I have been lurking around this site for almost 10 months now reading and searching quite a bit, but nothing seemed to jump out at me about the year and model in question.
I appreciate your inputs and will look into them further. Could expand on the intake comment a little further.
Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 AM
I have the same truck accept mines a 4x2 I've done headers K&N and a BBK throtel body from JEGS and it goes pretty good I would try looking at jegs .com

Old 03-04-2005, 12:28 PM
ok here it is, cold air intake

you must have the stock airbox for this to work, and a K&N Pop in filter (fits the stock box).

If you do, go to your local Ford Stealership... i mean dealership.

Order part# F3TZ-9A675-B - Description "TUBE-EN 232022"

Then take out the current "cold air intake" (the stock intake tube)............... and put the new one in!! It goes in the big hole next to the radiator. Seal the joint with aluminum tape (air duct tape) from home depot/lowes.

When you get it you'll see that the end that sticks outside is curved... cut it off and make it flat so that the air is "rammed" in.

I think it is curved so that water and such wont get up there. So I drilled a tiny.... maybe 5/32 hole by the 1st bend in the tube, and there is also a nice size hole in the airbox for piece of mind. So some of you off road guys might just want a bigger intake tubing and not cut it but this is instead be a nicer cold air intake.

Good luck..

Ohh BTW, the part cost me exactly 15.29 + .92 tax = 16.21

this is a copy of the post from another site, it worked for my 96', should work on any f150/bronco 92-96'.
good and cheap, increases the opening by 30% and uses that cold outside air.

Randy

Old 03-06-2005, 01:54 PM
I've got the same truck, and some of the above.

Hoggged out the stock airbox with plenty of holes, and it seems to pull air much better at heavy throttle. Drop in K&N helps there as well. Might try Watsonr's setup if I get time to get the tube.

Underdrives. Cheap easy and guaranteed results. $100 or less.

I've got the stainless Gibson SI/SO. Almost any exhaust will help, and everyone has their opinions. Of the few dynos I've seen most get similar results. $400 give or take, but guaranteed for the life of the truck (or owner LOL).

I also had excellent results with a Jacobs box/coil/wires, but have also had it fail on me. Easy to convert back to stock if it does (roadside 2 min). Recent events lead me to think that the setup is hard on the primary coil wire and trigger wire, but the jury is out until I have time to verify this.

This box with bigger gaps gave me over 15% mileage improvement, along with better low end torque. As revs climb the increase is less noticed. Dollar for dollar the best mod I've done, as it paid for itself and other mods in fuel savings. Again close to $400, but more than made it back. If you ever get a chance, calculate 15% of your fuel costs.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:32 AM
SIGNMASTER-we both are in VA BEACH. do you own that business? i think i saw a van i believe that had logo on it-that you?

tell me more about the ignition mod.

I'm getting 14-16 MPG in town and 18-20 on the highway. I've done every mod i can except the ignition.

bought some crane roller rockers and new pushrods I'm about to install=$230 for some extra lift and more ponies. should net +5hp

be careful when opening the stock box up as your letting more "heated air" in, the gain is more air, but cost is hot air. I think the rule is for every 10 degrees in air temp decrease the increase is 1hp. wrapping the box and tube with a heat reflective tape will increase hp by decreaseing air temp (proven in the "progect MPG" test). the f250 tube will make a difference and it delivers cold "outside air" straight from the front of the truck. took 10 minutes to do and did not have to drill holes or anything---cheap and easy!!

underdrives work-PERIOD just like the signmaster stated. used in combo with the e-fans they together made a huge gain in both performance and gas milage.

shorty headers work better on the top end-but DO WORK, and they do a better job than stock!

I used magnaflow SI/SO aluminized-guaranteed for the life of the truck=cheap and still does the job, had it done $126. if you do exhaust stick with the SI/SO-its been proven to increase HP and NOT LOSE low end torque with these trucks.

5LBRONCO-
you changed the throttle body, did you notice any lean condition or pinging under heavy throttle or load?

i think in hind-sight the best mod for me was the tuner. the truck screams.

Randy

Old 03-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Question

Been looking to some mods also water pump is weeping so now is a good time to do the underdrives do they affect your idle? Looking at LT headers and removing the cats using the Hooker Aerochambers and their dual system , but am I hearing that I will loose low end torque ?

Old 03-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Thumbs up

This weekend put the under drive pulley's on and the 250 intake tube on, very pleased with this . What brand of headers and exhaust system are you all running ? Been looking and have not found package for 1992 F150 5.0 liter extcab ,any suggestions .

Old 03-22-2005, 02:08 AM
The bottom line is that you could sink a small fortune in bolt-ons and get a minimal amount of HP gain for the $$ spent. Save your hard earned cash and build a nice 351 or better yet stroke that 351 to 393 or 408 and you'll be grinnin every time you drive her.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Wastnor Ya i did because I andvnced the timing So i run premium gas and that solved the problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 F150 Performance?