Pre-1997 Models

Thoughts on high mileage '90 F250 5.8 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on high mileage '90 F250 5.8 purchase

Hi,
I'm new to the site but not to Fords as I have an '89 F350 CC LB diesel. I'm looking at a truck to take to Alaska this summer.
The truck I'm most interested in is a 1990 F250 LB Super Cab with a 5.8L/auto trans, 4x4. It has 225,000 miles on it and the owner has replaced just about everything less the engine in the 7 yrs/100,000 miles he's owned it. This would include new radiator, starter, alt, trans, AC over to R134. Includes a rack and new front split bench seat. Body is great for the year and its a rust free CA truck. Uses oil but not extreme, passed CA smog test last year with no problem. He wants 3,000.00

The intended use it to use it to tow a 5,000 boat/trailer to Alaska and then it will be my summer work truck. I just bought a set net business (commercial salmon fishing) and the truck will be used to drive across the beach to the cannery (5 miles) with up to 5000lbs in the bed. It will also be my "around town truck" when not fishing. Total use will be less than 1,000 miles a year (used only in July, then parked the rest of the year).

I can have the local shop rebuild for my block (long block) for 1300.00 with a 12mon/12,000 guarantee. What can these 5.8's give interms of longevity? Am I pushing it to handle this? I feel ok regarding the limited use in AK but question the one time boat hauling..

I also need to get some 10 or 12" wide rims to run on the beach. Any concerns regarding offsets? I don't want to put a lift on it. Any place to check for cheap rims?

Thanks,

Lance
Chico CA

Old 02-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds pretty good... It sounds to me like the owner has taken care of it. As far as the work you want to put it through, I'd be worried more about the transmission when thinking of pulling/hauling, but if that has been replaced not too long ago, then I wouldn't worry to much about the work you plan to put it through, especcially with the few miles per year you want to drive it.

The miles definently are high, but if it runs good now, and there are a lot of new parts in it, I can't see that there is a whole lot of reason to worry about the use IN Alaska. I can see where your a little skeptical about the long drive there though, It definently is a long way... Without actually seeing and hearing the truck... I can't really judge whether it would probably make it, or would probably not. But If it runs strong, and shows no signs of imminent failure, well, I'd probably risk it, just keep an eye on the gauges.

Overall it sounds pretty good, and the price... well, I'm from michigan, so a Ford truck around here anywhere under 1994 or so is usually pretty rusty, and that truck around here wouldn't go for $3000. I know California bodies are in way better shape than those around here, but $3000 still seems a little high regardless, due to the mileage. I'd try to get it for $2500, or somewhere around there.

I know a guy with a 95 5.8 that's just pushing 220,000, and it's still running strong.

Keep us updated, and good luck on the buy.

Aaron

Last edited by Fordman8694; 02-26-2005 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on high mileage '90 F250 5.8 purchase