Pre-1997 Models

05 engine in 86 feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 engine in 86 feasible?

I have a 86efi auto 5.0 and was wondering if a 05 5.4 3V would mate to a 86 auto tranny? I'm thinking no...but I'm not mechanically inclined either. Things such as motor mounts and accessories would have to be bought. Would this be a really hard prodject for a regular mechanic? I'll beit expensive.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2005, 04:53 PM
cost prohibitive.

every thing is different. new computers, belts, accessories... your 86 tranny may not even be able to take the torque of the 3v 5.4

For the headache involved, you are probably better off just getting a 5.8 to drop in.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
PA has a bellhousing to adapt a 4.6-5.4 to a c-4 automatic. you prob have a AOD, C6, or a Mazda style manual. I would recomend a c-4 with a 6 pinion planet set, hardened input, alto red clutches and a good converter. All of this can be had at aresonable price or you can buy one of PA's transmissions with a bellhousing that has the 3 bolt starter for use with the modular engines. their entry level transmissions will hold 450hp and be more than you should ever need. It is only a 3 speed though if you wanted a overdrive then you would need to use the ecu and all of the wiring from a 05 to use its 4r70w trans. (that would be a pain in the ***) You can find PA (performance automatic) in the Summit Racing Eguipment. On the engine side you can modify the 5.4 mount to fit in your truck using the 5.4 mounts a welder and some 1/4 inch steel plate. you can kiss using the factory ecu goodby. I would go with a standalone engine management to handale the EFI and ignition. You will need a EFI fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator & return line to the Tank. I would recomend a Areomotive A1000 pump and regulator. Use -8 AN feed and a -6 AN return. I have pretty much the same setup, but Im using the old 5.0 the 5.4 would way cool and Id give much props to pul it off. Of couse this transplant is never a direct bolt in and be prepared to hammer, cut, weld, curse, and throw stuff. but it can be done. I ve pulled off and helped pull off some amazing motor swaps like a SR20 turbo nissan motor in a RX-7, Acura integra motors in CRX's and small block fords in RX-7's as well. Anything can be done, this is what seperates the true mechanics from parts changers. Good luck, and if you need any help looking for parts or advise shoot me a email

Old 02-21-2005, 10:40 PM
I agree with what LSWhat said, anything is possible and its not real difficult but it will take some time and you will need some welding and fabrication skills.

-Jon

Old 02-25-2005, 09:10 PM
5.4L

Does anybody know how much a 4R75E transmission would cost and where I could get one (other than the pricey dealership)? I'm trying to figure out the maximum cost of this project to see if its doable. Thanks

Quick Reply: 05 engine in 86 feasible?