Pre-1997 Models

Ack... no start and no codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ack... no start and no codes

Well crap, I don't have time for this!

My truck died the other day, by a stroke of luck very close to my house.

I've pulled codes and got nothing other than ECT and tranny temp out of range, but these were obviously since I couldn't start and warm up the truck first. No continuous codes at all.

When the truck died it was stumbling bad pulling away from a stop. It seemed to clear up some as the revs came up. It has had an off idle miss for a while, I've just been too busy to mess with it. It seems when you just feather the throttle it wants to stumble.

Plugs seemed to be badly fuel fouled. That along with the off idle stumble leads me to think it's getting too much fuel at low revs. My first thought is to check the TPS and move out to other things from there.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:00 PM
I don't think the tps would cause that. If it is getting too much fuel i would check the fuel pressure regulator. More than likely though it is an ignition problem and the plugs are gas fouled due to misfire.

-Jon

Old 02-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Jon,

Right you were. I guess not ever smelling fuel in injected vehicles had me convinced it was getting way too much.

We had a weak spart the day I moved the truck, so I started with the coil, swapped a few of the fouled plugs and gave it a shot. Nothing. Rotor and cap were ok. Coil primary wire was completely shot.

On the bright side, by not checking the obvious I had taken the Ignition Module off to have it checked out. Now my heat sink for it is finally cleaned up and looking decent up on the fenderwell.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:18 PM
What year and model of truck? Engine? Sounds like you may have a faulty fuel pump or pumps, depending on the year truck.

Robbie

Old 03-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Robbie,

First thing I did was swap tanks, thinking the pump myself.

The primary coil wire was GONE, extremely high resistance. We had got a weak spark, so I went into other things thinking maybe the module was bad or it was getting too much fuel. Once home I figured it out fairly quick.

I have a Jacobs box, and think that it may have fried the primary wire. I had a box failure under warranty, and they sent me two new wires for the trigger and primary. I haven't had time to check it out this time, but suspect that the extra voltage along with the multi spark may just eat the wires.

At least my partial race car sponsorship finally paid off. He had to come over to go over some stuff on the car (graphics) and saved me a tow fee by bringing over his trailer on the way.

Quick Reply: Ack... no start and no codes