Pre-1997 Models

loud winding noise when starting truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loud winding noise when starting truck

Well, the problem is exactly what the subject says. I have a 87 f-150, I6 with auto tranny. Sometimes when I go to start my truck there will be a loud winding noise. It will hardly ever do it when it is a cold start. But after the truck warms up, it will just be a loud winding noise everytime i turn the key, sometimes it will try to turn over then the winding noise happens, but other times it doesnt even turn over, the winding noise just happens right away. I am thinking it has something to do with the starter. Any help is greatly appreciated, I would like to get this fixed ASAP. Its kind of embarrasing in public when the truck doesnt like to start.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I would try replacing the starter... but when you pull it out, check the gear for missing teeth or damage. this will indicate damage to the flywheel, which is a whole new can of worms.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:24 AM
I agree. It sounds like your starter drive is on its way out.

SL

Old 02-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Remove the starter and take it to your local parts store. They can test it, but if I were you, I would just replace it. Sounds like the starter is turning, but the bendix is not shooting out to engage the flywheel.

Robbie

Old 02-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Actually, I've seen starter repair kits that claim to fix that, only about 30 dollars... however, a new starter is probably a great idea.

Old 02-09-2005, 06:30 PM
That's 30 bucks for the kit, remove the starter, disassemble it and replace the parts, reassemble it, reinstall the starter, turn the key and cross your fingers. New starter from Auto Zone less than 50 bucks. You do your own math.

Robbie

Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 PM
OK, its all fixed. Did it last weekend but just never got around to getting on here to let you guys know what the outcome was. I went to autozone and puchased a starter motor. That fixed the problem, it starts so beautiful now. Sounds alot more "alive". Thanks for all the suggestions and help. You guys never let me down.

Quick Reply: loud winding noise when starting truck