Pre-1997 Models

installing a starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing a starter

I need to know how to replace my starter...anyone got any step by step method? I hear it's difficult, but I'm willing to try. This 18 year old girlie is attempting to fix any problems that arise in my truck, aint it great!

Old 01-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing is to look at your old starter and compare it to the new starter. Look at the mounting bolt holes and where the wires connect and make sure you can identify what goes where. Pretty simple, I think my '88 F150 had three mounting bolts and two wires (been a while). Loosen all three mounting bolts before removing any of them. Then remove the top bolt first (hardest to get to). This way the other bolts hold the starter in place and that leaves both your hands free to mess with the ratchet and bolt. Then you can hold the starter up with one hand and remove the last two bolts with your other hand. Have something like a box or upside down bucket to set the starter on once it's removed so you can remove the wires.

Installing the new one is just attaching the wires and then lining it up and holding it in place while you get the bolts started. Make sure the bolts are cleaned and a tiny dab of anti-seize (or even just clean grease) on the threads. Get all three mounting bolts started and then tighten them up. They need to be pretty tight, I'm just guessing 65-75 ft. lbs. or so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just going by memory (scary thought, huh?).

Oh, just to be on the safe side you should remove the negative lead from the battery before starting and reconnect it after you're all finished.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Oh, just to be on the safe side you should remove the negative lead from the battery before starting and reconnect it after you're all finished.
Well, NOW I know what I did wrong...

Old 01-25-2005, 09:10 PM
'Fox, what size engine? I can tell you what socket sizes and wrenches you will need with a little info.

Robbie

Quick Reply: installing a starter