Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Filter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel Filter Removal

I have a 94 F150 Xtd cab 4X4 I have owned about 4 months. I am trying to replace the fuel filter and I can not remove the lines. I had a inexpensive removal tool from Advance that wouldn't work so I borrowed a nice set from a co-worker and I still can't get the *&$#*&*#! line to unlock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I believe the filter is the original equipment and I think it may be contributing to an idle problem. After the engine gets warm it sometimes wants to quit at idle. It doesn't idle rough it just cuts off and then restarts fine. It also does it occaisonally at speeds of around 15 - 20 mph. I'm starting with the simple stuff before I get to serious but have hit a road block with this fuel line.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:38 PM
hmmm... my dad had this problem. I'll ask him when he gets home, but what type of engine is it?

Old 01-23-2005, 10:22 PM
On my '88 F-150, the line is held on by a small plastic clip. I removed it easily with pliers and the new filter came with new clips. Yours must be a different set up. Once you do get the retainers off, watch out.... those lines have hella pressure on them.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:34 AM
They can be a pain. Push the line in towards the filter, then insert the tool and pull out. If it released it will slide out nice and easy, you shouldn't have to pull too hard. If those clips are really corroded and seized you will have to check with the ford dealer, i think they have a repair kit available that lets you cut the line and splice in new connectors.

Oh yeah, make sure you relieve the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail or you'll get sprayed once you get the line disconnected.

-Jon

Old 01-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the help. I did relieve the pressure but I'm thinking that the fitting is really corroded. The rear one came off without any problems. I sprayed inside the fitting with some penetrant and I am still having no luck with it. I'm going to try spraying it again now that the rear hose has been removed I took the filter bracket loose and the filter is now hanging below the frame rail for easier access. I may end up going with the repair kit but I'am not going to give up on it yet. By the way the engine is a 302.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I am having the exact same problem with my lock lines. I can barely even reach the rear line because of the front gas tank.

Actually I am glad they did not release because I did not know about the schrader valve. Where exactly is it? Is it more towards the rear of the truck, or furhter up towards the cab?

Old 01-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Brymac,

Any luck?? I am still working on my filter... Letting it soak overnight right now.

NF29

Old 01-29-2005, 09:05 PM
The schrader valve is on the fuel rail, on the engine. You don't have to use it to relieve the pressure, but it keeps you from getting sprayed with gas, which is nice.

-Jon

Old 01-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I was able to locate the relief valve. Now, hopefully I can just get the filter to come loose!

Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Twist, turn, soak, and curse!

Actually if you have other line tools to try, give it a shot. I had a single rear tank fitting that wouldn't budge and then came off first try with another line tool. I've got pics of it in my gallery.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:33 PM
NF29

I haven't messed with it because I have been under the weather. I'm glad you had luck with yours though. I'll be out of town this coming week and then one way or the other I will get it. BTW. Thanks for every ones responses on this subject and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has struggled with this problem.

Old 01-30-2005, 04:00 PM
signmaster, put up a link to your gallery, I cant locate it.

NF29

Old 01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
NF29

Yea I read in his post were he said he had pic's on his gallery but I couldn't find it either. I hope you have luck getting the lines off that filter. It's very frustrating when something so simple doesn't work properly.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 PM
The tool signmaster is talking about is made by performance tool if I remeber correctly. You can do a search inside this site on the "performance tool" word and find all our previous posts. We have all tried the plastic tools and some cheaper metal ones, the only one that has ever worked for me is the performance tool. It does make a difference.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:29 PM
When I changed mine, I just used the 'cheapo' plastic ring type removal tool.

Didn't have a problem (other than getting at the fuel filter itself that is, haha)

-Chris

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Removal