Pre-1997 Models

Quick Question, Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question, Help

The dealer has had my truck for 10 days now trying to fix the idle problem that I posted about in another thread.

1st they said it was the crank positon sensor, which the computer did throw a code for, but that didn't fix it.

Next they said fuel pump. So, they replaced that after waiting for the part 3 days (you'd think they would have one or be able to get it faster than that).

Last night I went out there as it was supposed to be done. The Shop manager said it took longer because they had to remove my hitch. BS?? I could see the truck and the hitch was on it, so I said it must be done then because it is all back together. The shop manager says, no, they have to put gas in it and replace the regulator still. WTF!

That means they replaced the fuel pump before they checked the regulator?! Should I be seriously pissed right now. As far as I see it, they threw a pump at it, costing me $700, but that wasn't what was messed up! Or at least, how do they know the regulator wasn't the whole thing and the pump was fine??!!

So I know to have a melt down or not!!

Also, how much labor should I pay for the driveshaft u-joints they replaced?

Thanks!

PS- Here's the link to all my problems in that other thread. https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=180147

Last edited by naustin; 01-20-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:57 PM
I say flip **** on them. They threw $700 into your truck for a fuel pump? without checking the regulator? Then again, I always say flip ****, so maybe get someone else's opinion.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Well for one, I have seen a class three hitch get in the way of the rear gas tank removal, so I'll give them that. Second, it does sound like they have been "guessing" at the problem. If the regulator gets stuck, it could cause high fuel pressure. That could cause your problem. However, if the tech working on it knows his elbow from his knee, he would have checked the fuel pressure, and removed the vacuum line on the regulator to see if it was blown out and leaking fuel, BEFORE ANY estimate of repairs was done! If that would have happened where I work, the tech would be backflagged his time for the repair, and the shop would satisfy the paying customer. As for raising a stink, you definitely should. Ask to speak to the service department manager, or his boss and explain to him your problem, why it still needs to be "fixed" and why you are not going to pay for what you feel you shouldn't have to. Is it a Ford dealer? If so, quality is job 1. Customer satisfaction is also a very high priority. If you have a bad experience, tell them you will never go there again, and also tell them of the Ford friends you have that will also never go there, and their Ford friends, and so on. If they are reputable, they will look out for you. If not, tell everyone you know to tell everyone they know "don't go there to get your vehicle fixed, all they want is the cash."

Robbie

Old 01-21-2005, 01:32 PM
It is a Ford Dealer. I went out there and talked to the Service Dept. Manager. He told me that the pump was definalty the problem I should speak directly to the mechanic if I had specific questions.

I talked to the mechanic and just asked him why he replaced the pump before the regulater. he said he did them "at teh same time" I then said, well, how do you know it wasn't just the regulator and the pump might have been fine.

He described how he checked the fuel pressure and the way it was slowly tapering off. He then told me that when they brought it inside it wouldn't start at all and they had to push it in...

I guess I believe him. But then again... Who knows. I ended up paying them $1855 bucks for:

Fuel pump
Fuel regulator
Output shaft seal
both rear driveshaft U-Joints
Pull and repair leaking radiator
Install plugs, cap, rotor I'd already bought
Crank Sensor (supposedly they comped back the labor on that)
Transmission service
Fix the EGR Supply tube, required removal of upper intake ($370 parts and labor for this... part was $120)

I'm just glad I have my truck back, but the SOB's could have noticed it need winsheild wipers and maybe even washed it for me.

No Respect... Tomorrow is their indoor sale. They have a couple hundred cars all cramed inside the service department, and Semi-Truck Service department. I think They were busy fixing and washing all the cars they brought in from the auction which is why I got the cold shoulder.

Quick Reply: Quick Question, Help