Pre-1997 Models

Combination Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Combination Manifold

Right, So I pulled off my combination manifold, EGR Manifold, and Carbeurator, to replace the intake/exhaust gasket, which I was told to do to improve fuel economy. Now, I have a couple of questions. The first is, I don't want to put any of my EGR manifold back on. Is that possible, with the stock intake, and what will I have to modify? The second is, How the hell do I clean the intake/exhaust? They are covered in old gas and oil and ****, and I want to be able to paint them. Also, the spot where the new gasket goes has pieces of the old gasket baked on that I can't take off with a Razorblade, or a wire brush. The third is... Well, I guess I just need the first two answered. So... Oh wait, yeah, there is a Third. Third, Is it safe to just run a propane torch over the old manifold to try to burn off some of the old crap? I want to get a coat of black paint over them. So... Have at it!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Not everyone will agree, but I always use a wire wheel on a small angle grinder to clean the mating surfaces (the cup type). Always works for me and saves lots of time and torn up knuckles.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:20 PM
LeClarion, you can also purchase a wire wheel that will install on an electric drill to clean everything. Same way I used to do it when I started. Also, don't remove the egr system! You can block it off if you want to, but do not remove the tubes on the exhaust manifold unless you want to find plugs to fit and seal the openings. A little hint to keep the new gasket from not sealing is to use a center punch and put dimples all around the intake ports on the intake manifold to hold the gasket in place. Just six or eight dimples around the port is sufficient.

Robbie

Old 01-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Yup. Didn't read your post until after I made my own modifications to the system to accommmadate my lack of EGR... and now I have some serious problems. Very serious. Like, anyone wanna buy a nice truck that needs a little work problems. For starters, there is no EGR manifold. I have no idea where it is, but at some point in time during about 25 trips to and from the parts store, it's gone. I cut the pipe that goes from teh exhaust manifold to the EGR manifold, and flattenned it out at the tip of whats left, sealed it off pretty good with some muffler/header putty inside it, and left that alone. Listened to an amateur mechanic, and just hooked all of the vacuum lines up to a source of vacuum, not really taking time to try to obey what I can still use of the original vacuum diagrams. When I start it, it smoked a good amount of white/grey smoke coming from the manifold-engine seal, and there was a LOUD whistling noise that increased with but lagged slightly behind engine RPM. Also, it drives like crap, the vacuum advance is spotty, when it works at all, even though those hoses got hooked back up to their exact same spots. Also, the transmission wasn't shifting up til it would with the throttle at half-3/4 open, when i was just cruising. Ummm... lots more that I can't remember. Oh, it was LOUD. Very loud, and I could smell some kinds of chemicals burning in there. I'm getting really worried about my Elanore. Peckerwood, or anyone else with some good knowledge, HELP!

Old 01-20-2005, 07:35 PM
You need to put her back like she was. I can do it with my eyes closed, but I'm nowhere near you. Best bet, find someone with the same truck 80-83 and use it as a template. Go to the u pick it salvage and re-acquire the lost and damaged pieces. Good luck. Let me know.

Robbie

Old 01-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Roighty-ho, I'm gonna just be thick headed about this and rather insist on not putting the EGR manifold back on. I pretty much totalled the EGR supply tube, and I don't fancy spending 2 days at a U-Pull-It in the cold to get a new one, and I definitely can't afford a new one. If I send you a picture or twelve, do you think you could tell me what I need to do differently from the way I have it? Or, better yet, maybe just give me a vacuum diagram that I can read and understand? If I can get one that actually looks somewhat like what I have in my engine, then I can take all day sunday to pull the hoses and rearrange them. The only thing wrong with it is the vacuum hoses. That's all that I can possibbly think of. Neither of the manifolds are cracked, and the gasket's good, but it just runs ssooooooooo bad... it makes me all sad inside... but seriously I really need to get it running right again, but I am just lost in this little mess. On a side note, I'm going to the Midwest Auto Show thingie tonight.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:58 PM
oh. just read my chilton's. IT DOESN'T HAVE A VAUUM DIAGRAM FOR A 1980 300 I6! An 82, and an 84, but no 83! is that supposed to be like that?

Old 01-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Use the one closest to your year truck. That should work ok. Pictures will help.

Robbie

Quick Reply: Combination Manifold