Pre-1997 Models

Newbie 4x4 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie 4x4 Questions

Hey..

I bought an '86 F150 4x4.. For $500 about 14 months ago..

It has MANUAL hubs, and a New Process Transfer Case..

I've read VARIOUS answers to the first question, then have a couple questions that I'd like answered.

1) What's the prevailing feeling about leaving hubs locked, when in 2wd? I mean, not all year, but when there's a reasonable expectation you'll need 4 wheel drive..

Like I've said, I've seen various answers on this one

2) The transfer case, seems able to "shift on the fly" from 2-->4High, is this a limited function, say to 30 mph or less or?? 4High-->4Low, seems to require a dead stop, with the tranny in Neutral. That one makes sense..

This last question, hmm..

3) I have a pretty steep grade, into my driveway, and was backing in, in 4 low, primarily so I could hammer the throttle without spinning the tires (hey, a six CAN do it!).

Uh, halfway up the "hill" my transfer case "popped?" out of 4Low, into Neutral. Held in place (with my hand), it didn't attempt to disloge it, on a second attempt.

3A) Is this COMMON?

3B) Is there an adjustment or something I can do to prevent this?

Again, it's a $500 truck.. I drive it when I can't use the motorcycle, either because I'm taking my daughter somewhere, or hauling more than the bike can carry. Last year ~7000 miles.

The body is shot on the beast, but mechanically she seems to remain reasonably sound. (perfect for a winter truck, in Ohio)

Sorry about the length of the post... If the moderators want to "split" the messages, I won't argue it..

Thanks all for your input.. "Roxanne" is my first 4x4...

AJRN

Old 01-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Funny I have the same truck.

1. It depends on how well you maintain your 4x4 equipment. I will leave the hubs locked if all the side roads are clogged up with snow while the main roads are clear. I wouldn't go on the highway though. Unless it was a 5-10 min ride under 45. But that is just my personal opinion.

2. You can do it at whatever spped you want but it is not always good though. I would say 0-30 is fine though. I have done it before.

3a. Happens to my truck. Pisses me off too. Happens going forward too. Only sometimes though. Last time it happened I think I just had too much snow compacted in by the 4x4 linkage.

I have not bothered to look into fixing it since my truck is a $250 truck. and as my username states it is a rustbucket. A Dependable rustbucket.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:04 AM
Rustbucket..

I dunno..

Mine isn't a fancy schmancy XLT..

It's a BAAAAAAAAARE bones with a 300 six.. A heater/defogger, and a hole where a radio is supposed to be.. There's an antenna, so it may have had one of those from the factory..

The radio is in the bedbox, right now.. It was mis-installed by the previous owner (they cut a hole in the flimsy plastic bezel, and thought THAT would hold it in!).. I got some metal brackets, from a junkyard Ford radio.. The radio has a clock on it, but it's weird, it doesn't mean I have time...

It has a dent, or rust, in every body panel (yup, including the roof!)

But aint they great 'old beasts??

Glad to know the transfer case "whatever" is just that..

AJ RN

Old 01-08-2005, 10:39 PM
www.blueovaltruckparts.com for everything but the engine and drivetrain, www.cliffordperformance.com for the engine. Everything you will need to go from rust bucket to proud to drive.

Quick Reply: Newbie 4x4 Questions