Pre-1997 Models

Won't Start - Ignition Switch?

Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't Start - Ignition Switch?

My '90 F150 4X4 won't start. It appears to be a problem in the ignition. Below are the symptoms:

1) The key is put into the ignition, and when the key is turned to a certain point as usual the check engine light and other dashboard lights come on - OK so far
2) Usually a futher turning of the key is required to start the truck, but the problem is the key won't turn any further in the ignition
3) I also noticed that when the key is turned to the point that the dash lights come on, I can't shift the transmission out of park on the steering column. Unless I'm mistaken, usually the gears can be shifted when the key is turned to this position and the steering wheel lock is turned off.....

It is almost like one of the stages of the ignition switch broke......

Any ideas?

By the way, I had just gotten the truck back from the transmission shop. They had replaced the speedometer because it had become inoperable which had affected the shifting of the transmission. I'm thinking that maybe something the shop did caused this ignition problem since it began after only four starts after getting the truck back from the shop...

Last edited by RobPA; 01-03-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:15 PM
It is not related. The speedo prob was most likely the speed sensor, or a blown fuse. Your problem is that I bet you have a tilt wheel. If so, you have a broken actuator lever inside the column. The ignition works a rod that pushes on the switch itselfat the bottom of the column. Tilt wheel requires two rods and a flexible link between them. That's what's broke. It requires disassembly of the top half of the column and the tilt mechanism which can be tricky to put back together. I strongly suggest to leave it to the pros, unless you can handle it. I get them all the time at the shop that people take apart and can't figure out how to put them together. Hope this helps.

Robbie

Old 01-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Robbie, my Windstar won't turnover.
Got headlights, dash lights etc.
The Red team in Hampton has worked on it for 10 years.
Should I call a tow truck?
Do you make house calls?

Old 01-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Raoul, come by, or call Bowditch tomorrow and ask for me.

Robbie

Old 01-04-2005, 11:24 PM
I bought the truck used a while back and I don't drive it all the time but mainly for weekend projects and stuff. That being said I'm almost certain that the steering wheel is not adjustable, but I'll have to double check tomorrow. I doubt it is or I would have noticed an adjustment lever and I've never noticed one... Thanks for the response either way!

Old 01-04-2005, 11:37 PM
happened in 88 f150 it was a piece that broke inside steering column it was a grey die cast it was awhile ago so i dont remember what the part was called my ford dealer says it happens all the time they have plenty in stock once u pull the sterring wheel and turn signal swith u will see it now to put new one in is tricky i cheatd and trimmed a little off so it could slide in if u want to do it right i would recommend a shop need special tools. but now i can shift in any gear even if switch is off

Old 01-05-2005, 06:46 PM
The "adjustment lever" is the turn signal arm. Push it towards the instrument panel and this activates the tilt wheel.

Robbie

Old 01-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Oops, double post

Last edited by bigbronc; 01-05-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:21 AM
is it possible to install tilt steering to a vehicle without it? from a boneyard parts?

Old 01-06-2005, 12:25 AM
absolutly!

Old 01-06-2005, 12:26 AM
How?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:48 AM
It is an adjustable steering wheel after all. Learn something new everyday. That's a funky way to incorporate a steering wheel adjustment lever. I guess I'll have to get it towed somewhere to get it fixed but I can't get it out of park to tow it.... Life's fun.... lol

Old 01-06-2005, 12:32 PM
You can pop the gearshift rod off at the trans to tow it.

Robbie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't Start - Ignition Switch?