Pre-1997 Models

87 f150 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 f150 stalling

I purchased an 87 F150 about a month ago and it has started to stall suddenly. When its in park it idles at about 1300 rpms. It idles just under 500 when its in gear and it has gotten pretty shaky. When I come to a stop it drops down to idle and then kills. I have replaced the plugs and wires, air filter, starter, and a batter since I got it. There is a small oil leak somewhere....but I havent found it yet because its only a drip or two an hour. Its got a 5.8 in it. Title is written for 41k original miles, one owner, but it may very well have 141k miles. Any suggestions??

Also, anything above 3000 rpms and it makes a nasty squeeling noise.

My gas gauges are also screwy, any suggestions to getting those fixed??

Old 12-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Clean your IAC solenoid on the side of the throttle body.

Make sure your fan belt is tight. If that doesn't solve the squealing, take the belt off and see if the squeal goes away. If it does, start turning the pullies by hand, feeling for excessive resistance, and listening for any signs of a squeal.

Check the grounds.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Okay.....I found a vacum hose broken off that goes into the bottom of the air cleaner. Still working on getting the rest taken care of.

Im assuming the grounds for the gas gauge is behind the cluster?? While using the front gas tank the gauge stays all the way up until there is about a quarter of a tank left, then goes wacky for a while and finally starts to work with about an 8th left. The rear tank just rests on E now. Does this sound like it would be the ground??

Old 12-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Well, the only way to test it for sure is to locate the signal wire going to the gauge, and ground it while watching the gauge. If the needle pegs full when you ground that wire, then the gauge is fine, and you have a problem with the sending unit, in the tanks. If the gauge reacts slowly, or not at all, when you ground the signal wire, then the problem is in the cluster.

Quick Reply: 87 f150 stalling