Pre-1997 Models

loosing oil, No Oil on ground and No smoke out exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loosing oil, No Oil on ground and No smoke out exhaust???

Well, I went to start working on saturday, it hasnt been started in a week. And anyway i pull out my driveway and the oil pressure droped way down and it was chugging, i immideatly stoped and the oil was like 2 quarts low....

so i backed the truck back up and took the other truck....

anyway, today i put 2 quarts in, drove it 5miles and the oil level is about .5 a quart low...

WHERE IS THIS OIL GOING!!?????!!!

and how can i fix it? or what is causing this???

thanks.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:06 PM
anybody please? i need to get this fixed ASAP so I can put the plow on it, it starting to snow!!!

Please help me. Thanks.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:19 AM
First of all, the filter will hold at least half a quart, so if you didn't start the engine after adding the 2 quarts, and then shut it off and check the oil level, you weren't getting an accurate reading. Check it today after it has been sitting a while, and see where it's at. Bring it up to where it's supposed to be, start it and let it run for a few, shut it off, and after 10 minutes, check it again.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:38 AM
okay i tired that, and its still loosing oil! no drop leaks and no smoke out the exhaust...

its a v8 5.0 efi.

im taking it to my dads tommarow to fix it....

im just hoping someone on here has had the same problem and knows what exactly it is so i can fix it and not have to do any dignosis.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Well, it's not that simple.

The oil does not just disappear. It's either leaking, burning, or you didn't check the level properly. It's possible that a crack in the block, or a bad gasket somewhere could allow the oil to get into the cooling system, but the fluid in the cooling system would then be in the crankcase, and your oil level would actually go up.

Look in the radiator, and see if there are any signs of oil in there. If not, you're probably burning oil.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:07 PM
With the catalytic convertor you may not see much smoke, unless your burning a lot of oil. 1/2 a quart in 5 miles is a lot of oil however. If it's not leaking or mixing with coolant its definitely getting burned. Try doing a compression test.

-Jon

Old 11-25-2004, 02:00 PM
I just drove it 20miles.... Its holding the oil, the pressure guarge is at o in Normal... anyway about 15miles into it, it had a real hard time accelarating and the check engine light came on... oh and the engine temp was way low the whole time. i checked the antifreeze color and it was pretty dark

any more ideas?

Old 11-25-2004, 02:03 PM
oh, and sense the coolant is dark.... how bad is that? and how is it getting in there? and would that cause the engine to not accelarte?

tommarow im putting new plugs, wires, and some other stuff on it ontop of trying to fix it.

anything else I should do to it besides fixing it? oh, ill change the oil when im done fixing it. Im probably going to put 10w30 amsoil in it.

but what else should i do becides oil, plugs, wires and fixing it?

Old 11-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Well the oil pump screen filter was extremly dirty, so i replaced that, and the pump too... then im going to run a compression test... I think that maybe it was just leaking oil like alot of fords do and I didnt realise this because I wasnt aware of it until now... it has been holding the oil for now, so i think it was just leaking a little at a time out the exhaust or something like alot of fords do, but I wasnt aware of this problem... Anyway, ill know more tommarow. Hopefully this is all it is.

Oh, and it wasnt oil in the coolant, it was just old dirty cooant.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Is your truck running rich? Does the oil in the crankcase smell of gas?

Old 11-26-2004, 07:22 PM
i cant really tell if its running rich. and no, it doesnt smell like gas in the crank.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 PM
One other item you might want to check is the vacuum line leading to the PCV valve. When you get a chance, remove it and see if there excess oil residue in the line.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:32 AM
You replaced the oil pump???

Pull the codes if you want to know what your hesitation problem is.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Did you find out what your compression was? You also said your antifreeze was dark. In most cases the oil will not mix with the coolant, but it will clump so you would see clumps of oil floating around or buildup around the rad cap and opening. You could have a bad had gasket only allowing oil into the cooling system and not the other way around. The compression test will give you an idea of where to look.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:23 AM
When something like this happened to my neighbor, it turned out that he was leaking oil, but it would collect in certain places on the truck, and it would all pour out when he was moving, so there were never puddles.

Quick Reply: loosing oil, No Oil on ground and No smoke out exhaust???