Pre-1997 Models

MAF Conversion Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF Conversion Help!!!

Am in the planning stages for a MAF conversion on my 91 F150...

I have purchased GT40P heads and they are awaiting install. I am looking at upgrading to a roller cam (HO firing order) but have a few questions about doing the upgrade...

First of all, the only MAF conversion I can find for my truck is by Pro-Flow and will cost $$$

I know some of the '95 F's and Broncos had Mass Air and the E4OD. Obviously, this is a roller (HO firing order) setup and should work with the retrofit to my 91.

Any forseeable problems with this setup?????

My only other option would be to go with the FMS kit for the manual and buy a 'puter for the E4OD.

FMS does make a Lightning kit, but I'm not sure if the 351 computer will work with my 302. This possibility would also alleviate the need for cutting/splicing the harness, as the 351 and the 302HO share a common firing order.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I would try the NLOC board, but they seem to be fairly anti-MAF.

Old 11-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Honestly the firing order won't make that much of a difference, the only thing you need to worry about are the injectors getting them to the right cylinders. Lets take a sec and look at what the computer sees, if sees #1 TDC and thats it, it knows the firing order so it fires those injectors but the actual firing order won't matter as the computer does not see any of the other cylinders firing.

Old 11-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Account Suspended For Violation of Terms of Service
once again, dont listen to mtstud.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:06 PM
mdstud,

Thanks for the info...for right now, I've decided to hold off on the MAF conversion. Ryan (of Fordfuelinjection.com fame) has convinced me that my current SD setup will work just fine with a mild cam and my GT40P heads.

Seems there's lots of misinformation out there regarding SD. For the record, I'm told (and there are plenty of guys in the NLOC and on 50tech.com that are running these cams) that as long as you stick to a 114 LSA, keep overlap to a minimum, and don't venture over about 220 duration @0.50, then you'll be fine.

Popular SD-proven cams include; Comp Cams 35-255-5 (hyd. flat tappet, 351W firing order), Crower 15511 (hyd. roller 351W/302HO firing order), Comp Cams NX264HR (hyd. roller 351W/302HO firing order), and the Crane 2030 (hyd. roller 351W/302HO firing order)

The Comp 35-255-5 is a simple conversion for us non-roller guys, all that needs to be changed is the plug wires on the dist. cap to match the 351/302HO firing order. This cam was used by "hot rod" on the NLOC and is a proven winner, recording 12 second ETs (naturally aspirated) with Speed Density.

Not trying to knock MAF, but for some (like myself) it doesn't make sense to spend $1,500 + on a conversion and a separate tranny controller (only to end up with a one-size fits all MAF sensor and the hassle of a custom wiring harness). Tuning can be done on SD with the addition of a Tweecer or chip (for radical applications), but can also be accomplsihed with a bump in spark timing and careful monitoring of air/fuel ratios and fuel pressure.

So, here's to (hopefully) high 14's/low 15's with a SD setup! Will post the results when completed.

~Gary W.

(Cam of choice, Comp 35-255-5 w/GT40P heads, GT40 upper/lower intake and Lightning throttle body)

Last edited by grywht; 11-13-2004 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: MAF Conversion Help!!!