brakes

i replaced the brakes on my truck with ceramic pads. they work good

Old 11-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are also very hard on the rotors.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Account Suspended For Violation of Terms of Service
? how do you figure? i am not saying you are wrong, but i thought they made less heat, and therefore werent supposed to eat the rotors much? i like them because they have no noise, and dont make all that dust that dirtys up the wheels

Old 11-09-2004, 08:48 PM
All brakes do is change kinetic energy to heat. When you have two surfaces rubbing against each other they create heat from friction. But heat is energy and must be converted from potential or kinetic energy. Both surfaces are going to wear due to the friction depending on the surface hardness of each material one will wear quicker. Since ceramic has a higher surface harderness then steel the rotor is going to wear quicker.

I wouldn't worry about it though. Just thought I would throw it out there.

BTW. The ceramic pads are just better suited at dissipating heat. That is why you get brake fade. The brakes heat up and can not convert your motion (kinetic energy) into heat as quicly as when it was cool. That is why you see cooling ducts for the brakes on high end cars. You can also get brake fade from the gases created from the pads getting stuck between the pad and rotor. That is why there is that groove in the pad and also why some rotors are drilled (drilled helps with the cooling too) I will stop rambling.

Last edited by RustBucket; 11-09-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:09 PM
a long post never seems to bother me. thanks for your info on ceramic pads though. o well. all is over with for now. it will be interesting to see how long it is again before brakes/rotors need to be replaced again

Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 PM
No problem. Did you just buy the high end pads at the parts store (Lappens, AutoZone)? If you did I wouldn't worry about it the least. If you high end special order pads then you should get the the approriate rotor, but I am sure for your application you will see only better braking.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:06 PM
hope so! i used morse ceramic pads. got them from autozone, they always work great! thanks for you comments

Quick Reply: brakes