Pre-1997 Models

Fuel System Requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel System Requirements?

All,

While planning my next series of mods, I began to wonder if the fuel system is up to snuff....

My sig has the mods I've performed thus far, and I conservatively estimate that it's added maybe 12-15 hp....So I'd be up to around 195-200 and that's a big maybe.

I'm planning on adding underdrive pulleys, electric fan, Superchip, and 1.7 ratio roller rockers.

With only 67,000 miles on the odometer, a cam swap or complete tear down is out of the question. I'd like to run the stock bottom end and heads until such time as they require a rebuild.

To that end, I'd also like to keep the fuel system as simple as possible...the stock setup seems to be working just fine.

Now, I've read that the stock fuel delivery system can accomidate up to 225 or 230 hp.

My question is this; with the addition of the chip (10hp), pulleys (5-7hp), electric fan (5-7 hp) and 1.7 rockers (10 hp), I'd be pushing somewhere between 230 and 240. Now considering that 10-15 hp will be gained from the reduction in parasitic power loss (pulleys and fan), is my stock fuel system up to snuff or do I need to evaluate larger injectors and a revamped fuel pump system?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 11-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your stock system is fine. Your heads are what's holding you back. If you change the heads and/or cam, you'll want to change the pump. Your injectors are good for quite a bit more power.

Quick Reply: Fuel System Requirements?