Pre-1997 Models

bronco e40d got hot and puked fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bronco e40d got hot and puked fluid

Sorry it's long, but want to explain the whole story.
I have a 95 Bronco xlt w/ 302. It has 126k miles. I've owned it for a few months and put only about 3k miles on it. I took it on a trip a month ago over the pass towing a small tent trailer with no probs. Decided to keep it so i put a k&n fipk, new plugs/wires/cap/rotor, new 32x11.5 tires in the last month. I took it on another trip over the pass with the same trailer and wen i got to camp it was smoking. Checked all fluids and were all ok. Noticed a few drops of tranny fluid near the plug. I drove it lightly for a few days w/o trailer and no problems. Then drove it longer one day and up some steep, slow dirt roads and it slipped after a while. I pulled over and was dripping tranny fluid pretty good. Drove back to town slowly and got some more tranny fluid. Put one quart in and started back for camp.

Did ok until a few long steep, slow grades. It bogged way down and was about to come to a stop when I decided to back it down. I put it in reverse and nothing. Got out and fluid was dumping/puking all over. Couldn't put it in neutral/drive/etc. Couldnt even push it back and it was on a steep hill. Was like the brakes were all locked up. Got drug to the side of the road and left it for an hour. Went back and added one quart and it went into gear and moved it to a flat spot. Got more fluid and an additive to try to help seal the front seal. Added 3-4 quarts plus the additive. Drove it back over the pass ok and it seemed to shift ok too. Got it back home and the fluid started leaking again and felt a few hard shifts near home.
Question: Is there any chance i can get the tranny serviced with a new seal and flush or am i going to need a full rebuild after getting it that hot? How much $$ am I looking at? And what upgrades should i ask about if i do rebuild. I know i would put a tranny cooler on it.
Thanks.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:36 AM
I don't know if you need a rebuild or not, but to me it sounds like one is in your near future. Mine in my 2wd 90 F150 was 1200 bucks, and a 4wd will be even more. Hopefully this is not the case. My wallet took a major blow when it happened to me and if you're tight on cash like me your's will too.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Bad news...

Mine did a similar thing. In my truck's past life, it was used as a part-time cattle hauler (gooseneck). The previous owner was vigilant in servicing the truck religiously, and had taken it to a quick lube place to get the tranny serviced. Unfortunately, the filter was incorrectly installed, causing it to drop and overheat the tranny. The truck began belching blue smoke and would not go. After letting it sit for about 2 hours and adding tranny fluid, it made it back home...but the damage had been done.

The tranny fluid was burnt black and required a complete rebuild. $1500 bucks later, it was upgraded to '94 specs and a shift kit was installed.

I would highly recommend getting it serviced/inspected by a certified tech and would consider a rebuild ASAP. HEAT kills transmissions! I would also suggest installing the largest tranny cooler possible, as the stock cooler is crap. If you plan on heav off-roading or towing, I'd suggest the use of a fan-equipped cooler.

Best of luck!

Gary

Quick Reply: bronco e40d got hot and puked fluid