Pre-1997 Models

well, let me try it here

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, let me try it here

I asked this question in the engines section with no responses, so maybe ya'll can help me. I am thinking about maybe trying to swap either a 4.6 or 5.4 out with my 302 in my 90 f150. How complicated will this be? What parts will I need off of the donor truck? Will a 97-98 be an easier swap than the 99-03 due to the computer? Will my 90's auto tranny bolt up to these modular engines? Any help and comments are appreciated.

Old 11-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Yikes!

Why swap? You could build the 302 into a monster (yes, with speed density and all...its done every day with the mustangs). Or you could swap in a built 351...probably much cheaper and you'd be able to run circles around a 4.6 or 5.4.

Not to discourage you...the modulars are freaking awesome...but I love the durability of the Windsor.

Check the NLOC forums (www.nloc.org) or the stangnet forums (www.stangnet.com) for info on the modular engine/tranny.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out!

1991 F150; 3.55 gears; rebuilt E4OD with shift kit; 302 with K&N, Crane Fireball Coil, MSD 8.5mm wires, Sidegapped champion truck plugs, Gibson Headers, Magnaflow exhaust.

Awaiting install; GT40p heads, Comp Cams 35-255-5 (210/214 dur. .478/.485 lift), Crane 1.7 Roller Rockers.

Long live Speed Density!

Old 11-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Cool

I am with grywht, I wouldn't swap to one of those motors unless you were looking at the V10. Then I would be on your side because I am thinking something along that line as well. The biggest thing with a motor swap into that era of truck is the wiring harness, etc. They are completely different between the two years of trucks.

Personnally, if I was going to an engine swap and this is only me. This is where I will be going ...My New HP Addition But then again, the truck will be off the road for a long time and there will be additional options put on the truck with that motor going in.

If you are looking for more HP & TQ, there some awesome combinations out there for both the 302 and 351, it all depends upon how much you wish to spend.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 11-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Well, I thought I would try something different and unique. I never thought of using the V10 (hmmm...) but I thought I could get better fuel economy from my 90 as well as an updated powertrain. In respect to fuel economy, my 97's 4.6 gets 19+ on the highway and its 4wd. On the other hand, I might get 13 out of my 90's 302. Just exploring my options right now. Thanks for the posts and keep em coming if you have an opinion.