Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Filter Problems!!!HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Problems!!!HELP!!!

I've got a lil problem here and was wondering if you guys could be of assistance. Well I've been trying to get the fuel filter off this thing. And I just can't seem to succed; Anyway's I went and got the tool it is a ac and fuel line disconnect tool. Don't really know if its the right tool or not cause it has four different sizes for hose sizes i guess. But i put it on the quick disconnect and try squezzing and then pulling and just can't seem to get it off. I've tried squeezing the quick disconnect in many different place's and can't seem to get this thing off. I would appreciate any and all help i can possibly get. And pictures if you have any and possibly pics of the correct tool. Cause im thinking i got the wrong tool for the job. Thanks in advance guys. Help me cause this thing is kickin my a@#.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:44 AM
I'm sure you got the right tool, there are several you can use. I'll try and help you get the filter out. First thing you need to do is depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail, under the hood, to relieve the fuel pressure. Then get a bunch of rags, your new tool, and your new filter, and crawl under the side of the truck. Pry the safety clips off of the fuel line. Next, attach your tool to the fuel line so that it is a snug fit. If you have 4 possible tools, use the one that fits the fuel line, or is slightly smaller. Set it up so that the part that hugs the fuel line is pointing towards the filter. Slide that end into the round coupling, and push it towards the coupling. At the same time, pull the fuel line torwards you. This should diseangage the coupling, and you can slide the fuel line off. Quickly do the other side the same way, and insert the new filter. You don't need any tools to install the filter, just slide the couplings over each end until they lock in place.

Last edited by PKRWUD; 10-25-2004 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Okay, here, I took some pics for you. Just pretend the metal fuel line is the filter.

This pic shows two different types of tools you can use, and the coupling with the safety clip on...

This pic shows the safety clip in the up position...

This pic shows both tools mounted on the filter, getting ready to disengage the coupling. You only need one tool, I just have both on there in the pic so you can see what it should look like depending on which tool you have...

Old 10-25-2004, 08:32 AM
This pic shows the tool being pushed all the way into the coupling...

This pic shows the filter pulled from the coupling...

Old 10-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PW,

I'm just about to have to do this ...because the guys at the local car wash quickie lube could not get the FRONT side off. ( I have them do it just because I'm lazy and always get a free car wash in the deal ). This last time a new bozo was there and couldn't get the front side off. COULD this be because he DID NOT release the front side pressure? He got the back off pretty quick.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
You are always a great help....

VERY NICE PICS!

Old 10-26-2004, 04:51 PM
No. If he didn't release the pressure, he just got a face full of gasoline spray. Once the back was disconnected, there was no longer any pressure anywhere in the line. My guess is the reason he couldn't get it off was because he was pulling the filter away from the fuel line before the tool released the coupling. Sometimes you really need to push the fuel line and filter together when the tool is in the coupling in order to get it to fully release (and then pull them apart).

Old 10-28-2004, 11:24 PM
I'm having the same problem. I couldn't get the fuel filter off. My local mechanic couldn't get it off. The local Ford Dealer's mechanic couldn't get it off.

I'm wondering what's next. Replace the fuel lines? They don't look like they rust at all. I already need a new rear tank. Maybe do it all at once.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:01 PM
fuel filter stuck

some people have to brake the fuel filter off ( which leave the small tube ends on the fuel lines) then the tool should work.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:42 PM
I was having the same problem on my '94 F-150 with 300 six. The filter is located between the tank and frame rail which is a PITA to work in.

I had the "X" type tool shown above that would not work for love or money. Took it back to the store and bought a full set of plastic spool type tools.

Right on the package it says NOTE: On Fords to use the smaller 5/16 tool on fuel lines even though the line is a 3/8.

When I used the smaller tool it came off fairly easily. I couldn't get it off at all with the "x" type tool because of poor quality.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Problems!!!HELP!!!