Pre-1997 Models

A few Photos

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking A few Photos

Old 10-20-2004, 07:49 PM
That's a clean setup with the K&N. How much work and $$ was it to do that. Also, what did you do with the oil breather filter located under the air filter in the old air box? If it didn't cost to much to do, I would like to have a setup like that on my 90 302.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:15 PM
K&N Filter

The K&N was probably the easiest thing I've installed. I purchased the replacement filter for the FIPK, it's K&N part # 1012. Summit has it for $46.39...Part # KNN-RF-1012

Once I had the filter, I went down to the local muffler shop and got two 6" sections of 3" diameter exhaust pipe. The K&N filter element comes pre-oiled and ready to install, complete with hose clamps. For the install, I simply ripped out the factory airbox and filter and sat the K&N down in its place (There is a tray that the airbox sat on that will hold the new filter). I removed the crankcase ventilator elbow from the factor airbox, put a cap on the hose-end, and pressed the airbox end into the small crankcase vent hole on the K&N (I need to go back and silicone this in place, as it's a very tight fit and might pop out otherwise). Then all I had to do was take the sections of exhaust pipe and stuff them into the K&N element, clamp 'em down and put the other end into the factory air intake hoses and clamp those.

For the crankcase vent, I removed the factory tubing from the oil filler and replaced it with an open-element breather made for an import car. I believe the part was made by APC or something like that....you can buy one at Pep Boys for about $6.50. It's a pretty tight fit getting the hose on the bottom of the breather to fit over the metal tube that goes into the crankcase, so you'll need to throw away the hose clamp that comes with the breather and remove the rubber hose or 'neck' from it before putting it on. I found it much easier to lube the inside of the breather neck before press fitting it on. Then all you gotta do is attach the breather to the rubber neck and you're set.

All together it totalled up to $58 dollars; $46.39 for the filter, $5.00 for the exhaust tubing, and $6.50 for the crankcase breather (I went for the chrome one!)

Total time for the install, about 20 min. tops, and it only requires a few hand tools. (Screwdriver, ratchet & socket)

Out of curiosity, what part of H-town do you live in? I just moved from the Katy area this summer.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Thnax for the info. I may try that on mine pretty soon. I live on the main campus at the University of Houston. I've only been here a few months, though. My 90 F150 is back home in the Piney Woods of East Texas, where the space shuttle Columbia crashed a year or two ago.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:21 PM
very nice!

Old 10-30-2004, 09:43 PM
hmmm wonder if you could have that exhaust shop bend you up some pipe to replace those two hoses. then get the pipes chromed or powdercoated-that would look SWEET!

oh and thanks for the part# i've been looking for that!

Quick Reply: A few Photos