Pre-1997 Models

Ignition Woes?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ignition Woes?!?!

Guys, need a little insight here...Got my MSD SuperConductor 8.5 mm wires, Crane PS1 Coil, and K&N homebrew FIPK installed today but the truck seems to be running worse now than before.

The truck is a '91 F150 5.0L with an EOD tranny and 3.55 gears.

I powerwashed and detailed the engine this weekend and evidently got some water in the distributor. After popping off the dist. cap and blowing the water out, the truck ran just fine. Excited to get my goodies in the mail, I put on the MSD wires last night and took the truck for a spin. Everything seemed normal. Then I went ahead and stuck on my PS1 Coil and K&N filter. Cranked her up and she seemed to be idling just fine, but it was too late for a test drive (loud exhaust and light sleeping neighbors at 2:00 am don't mix well!).

This morning had to drive to Dallas, about 90 miles away...was impressed by the mid and top end...Filter is incredibly loud! Everything seemed to be fine except for taking off at WOT. When I'd try to flash the converter or gun it from a 5 mph rolling start, the engine seemed to bog down and hesitate before taking off. Once the engine revved to 1700 or 1800 rpms, it ran real strong.

Before my drive back this afternoon, I replaced the PS1 coil with the old factory one. The hesitation and bog seemed to disappear. I did notice that it didn't seem to have quite the top-end that it did with the hotter coil, but it was much easier to smoke the tires with the stocker

Got home tonight and started fooling around...noticed a loud ticking sound coming from the distributor cap. Removed it and the MSD wires and cleaned the cap, rotor, and put on the factory wires....no change....ticking sound is still there.

I proceeded to unplug the hood lamp and turn off all lights near the truck. With the engine running, I stuck my head under the hood and looked for any arcing that might be taking place. Saw nothing but a hint of blue light coming from the coil wire and occasionally the plug wires. Replaced the factory wires with the MSD ones once again and repeated the process. Still ticking, and still seeing a blue glow from the coil wire.

Now, the cap & rotor probably need to be replaced. They are the originals with 66,000 miles. The plugs likewise are overdue for a change. Have not messed with either except for wiping off of the inside of the cap and rotor button.

What the heck is going on here? Are the plugs/cap/rotor so far gone that I can't make any use of the extra juice from the PS1 coil? Could a severely worn cap/rotor cause the 'ticking' sound that I'm hearing from the distributor? What else should I check?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 10-20-2004, 05:10 AM
The best ignition system in the world won't do much good if the power can't get to the plugs. Replace the cap and rotor, and make sure you wired the coil correctly (you can wire it backwards, and it will run, but it will feel weak). Make sure you have dielectric grease around the inside edges of the coil wire boots, too.

I would also check all of your vacuum lines very carefully for cracks. Powerwashing an engine is risky. Not only can you get water in places it doesn't belong, you can also damage vacuum hoses that have become brittle due to repeated heat cycles under the hood. I see it all the time.

BTW, a new set of plugs would have given you a bigger gain in power than all the other parts combined. I'd get a new set if I were you.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Well, I put in new plugs today...Champion Truck plugs, and side gapped them before the install. I had been waiting on my Accell Cap & Rotor to come in but freaking FedEx lost my packages from Jegs But that's another story all together.

Anyway, went down to the local parts store and got a new cap & rotor until the Accell parts come in. Buttoned it all up and took her for a spin. Hesitation is completely gone and power is up big time all across the powerband. Can now easily grab a 2nd gear scratch with 31 x 10.5 mudgrips and 90 degree outside temp.

PKRWUD, thanks for all the ideas & tips...just a little more tweaking and I'll be satisfied

~Gary

Quick Reply: Ignition Woes?!?!