Pre-1997 Models

Buying Used

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying Used

I've been looking into buying a used, pre-97 F-150 with a 300 for a long time. My strategy has been to call private parties and dealerships and ask to take the truck to my mechanic for a look-over. Problem is, this seems to complicate things and delay the process. I'm losing potential good deals because the seller does not want to wait. Can anyone explain, or direct me to an article, describing step by step what to check for on a used F-150?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:50 AM
4.9L F150's are really pretty straight forward. If it starts smoothly, idles well, and accelerates strong, the engine is probably fine. If there is no signs of fluid collecting on the bottom of the tranny, it's probably fine as well. Common problems with the 4.9L are dirty injectors, vacuum leaks at the intake manifold gasket, and a rotten air injector tube. All three are easy to check for. Dirty injectors will create a slight miss when cruising between 35-45 mph, under very light throttle. Vacuum leaks at the intake gasket will cause a random miss at idle. A rotten air injector tube will make a slight tapping sound upon acceleration.

If it's a 5 speed, make sure you can shift through all the gears smoothly. If it's an automatic, make sure it doesn't stall when put into reverse.

I would recommend a '92 or newer, because they had fewer problems, and are likely to be in better shape, due to age.

Old 10-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Account Suspended For Violation of Terms of Service
or you could just buy an s-10. they get good milage, last a long time, and will haul any thing.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 AM
I suspect he wants a real truck.

Quick Reply: Buying Used