Pre-1997 Models

Lift kits and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift kits and tires?

I have a 1993 F-150 4x4 that im looking to lift and add some tires to. Rite now it has 15in wheels and has a stock hieght. Im looking to make this truck into more of a off-road truck then it is now. It does have a limited slip rear-end which is pretty cool.

I was looking at throwing on some Dunlop Radial Mud Rover which are 235/75R15.

Which are some decent lift kits for the money? Also would you guys replace the shocks with better ones? Im mostly am going to be doing mudding and trails, not rock climbing.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:51 AM
For 150 bucks or less you can get a body lift for your truck, which would probably be about all you need. If you are going to lift the truck, though, you ought to consider some 33/12.50/15's for better looks and offroad performance. 235's with a lift just looks awful.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:46 PM
If you want it to be more for off-road, you want to start with a suspension lift kit. You won't really get much more room for tires with a short body lift. Taller body lifts will create issues with the steering column, seats and belts and transmission (if it's on the floor) and probably some unexpected things. It will look weird underneath unless you add something to hide the gap.

It all depends on your budget. Body lifts often have hidden costs. They are only good as a shortcut for fitting larger tires. You get no added wheel travel or articulation. It's no stronger since it's still stock. In fact it'll be weaker because of the stress of larger tires. It won't prevent your larger tires from rubbing the swing arms or frame, only the body panels, maybe.

If you're putting on 33" tires you'll want at least 4" lift and, IMHO, that's a lot for a body lift.

I went with Tough Country because it was more affordable. It's probably not the strongest kit out there but for my purposes and driving style it's plenty. Better ride on-road (than stock) and good for most utility off-roading. By that I mean hunting, fishing, camping and not bogging, jumping or being generally abusing my truck. Not that it can't do any of that, but I never liked the feeling of walking 10 miles to the nearest civilization.

If you go with a suspension lift you'll need new shocks. Mine came with a set of 4 so I had to get a couple extra for the quad shock setup I have in front.

Last edited by Dusty87; 10-25-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:39 PM
jut
where did you get your front quad shock set up from.

Quick Reply: Lift kits and tires?