Pre-1997 Models

Oil Pan Removal ?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes

Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to be a bunch of different info. I just replaced mine on a 94 I6 and all I had to do was free up the fan shroud and then jack up the engine until the pan was free to be removed. The engine goes way UP. I ended up with pieces of 2X4 in place of the 1X4. Most definitely use the one piece Fel-Pro gasket. Good stuff. I also replaced my Oil pump and pickup tube. Those were both pulled after the pan however. I'm ready for another 330,000 if she'll go that far. I figure I'll overhaul her at 450,000.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
did mine this past weekend and it went pretty well had a little problem getting the starter bolts off. but when i finished and had lowerd the engine back down and taken it for a drive and drove it back into the garage i noticed it was leaking power steering fluid. so i checked that out and while jacking the engine up i broke one of the lines. has this happend to any one else?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Where exactly do you put the jack to jack up the 4.9?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Place the jack under the front of the pan, but place a piece of wood between the jack and the pan.

I'm sorry I missed the other posts in this thread, but just to confirm, the steps I listed are the ones I did, and it worked perfectly. Don't forget to rotate the crank until #1 is at TDC! I suspect that's why some people needed the engine higher.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't jack anything up. I just dropped the pan, let it rest on the frame bar...fished the gasket under the junk inside the pan and it's fine.

It's not the easiest thing to do, but it worked.

Important to get all that old gasket junk off. I used razors and steel wool.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by saint_berzerker
I didn't jack anything up. I just dropped the pan, let it rest on the frame bar...fished the gasket under the junk inside the pan and it's fine.

How did you clean out the debris from the old gasket and the steel wool from the inside of your oil pan without removing it?

Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 AM
No need to hoist motor

I have a method that does not require unbolting and hoisting the motor.
Unbolt the pan and let it drop the 2 inches it will. Peel off the old gasket and clean up both the pan edge top and bottom lip of the motor with a spray clean of your choice and rags. Get 12 3 inch blots of the same thread as the pan bolts . spray gasket tacky spray onto the under side of the motor where the oil pan mates up to. Let sit for a while. place new gasket onto the top of the oil pan by carefully stretching it around the outside from the bottom up. With one hand holding the pan up off the cross member about and inch, thread 4 of the 3 inch bolts into holes, 2 in front and 2 in back. next start threading in more on the sides until the gasket is holding its shape to the top of the pan. Now that the tacky spray has been drying for a while, push the pan up against the bottom of the motor and hold for a minute. release and lower pan and gasket is sticking to motor bottom. Grab 4 of the pan bolts and push the pan back up tight against the gasket. Remove to first 4 bolts and replace with the pan bolts. Complete the process by replacing the 3 inch bolts with the remainder of the pan bolts and tighten up till finished. I have been using this method on my 1992 F150 XL 4.9 liter for years. Saves allot of time and money. Cheers!

Old 08-18-2019, 03:38 PM
How did you fish new gasket?

Oil pan gasket.

Oil pan and crossmember
Originally Posted by saint_berzerker

Thanks in advance
How did you fish new gasket into place?
I have a 89 f150 2x4 4.9l
I plan to clean all areas that new gasket might touch.
Does new gasket need to be clean and dry before I start tightening bolts? I am thinking about wrapping new gasket in something protective while I'm fishing it into place any thoughts on this idea?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal ?