Pre-1997 Models

Ignition Upgrade Time!

Old 10-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Upgrade Time!

Well fellas, while the truck's at the muffler shop getting it's new 3" exhailing outfit, it's time to consider the ignition. With 66,000 miles on the od. and original cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, I need to do some routine maintenence.

I've heard various opinions on this board regarding the use of aftermarket ignitions...and have settled on using a better coil (Crane Fireball) and better wires. I'm curious if you guys have experimented with different caps & rotors and have noticed any difference. I'd hate to drop some cash on a good coil and wires only to have whaterver increase in performance/mileage crapped on by a cheap cap & rotor. Any suggestions?

PKRWUD, I noticed that you have a Fireball coil, what's the part # for the one you put on, and is it a stock replacement for the FoMoCo part? I'm running the 5.0 in a '91 model. I also noticed you were talking about Accel 300 plug wires...do these wires come in "kit" form, or are they a plug & play fit? I noticed in your sig that you switched to Taylor wires...any difference between the two?

Thanks for the imput!

Old 10-12-2004, 01:37 AM
My coil is the PS91. That's the only part number I am aware of it having. It's a direct bolt-in replacement, but it's got a higher output. Don't expect to notice much difference from the coil or the wires, but you should still replace them. I like my Taylor wires, but my Accel 300's were better. I always assemble the wires myself, so I don't know if they make a set that's finished and ready to install, but I would imagine they do. As far as a cap and rotor, the brand doesn't matter, just make sure the cap has brass contacts (where the wires attach). Brass lasts much longer, and conducts better.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:10 AM
I use Ford Motorsport 9mm wire. There good quality and they come in kit form.
As far as cap and rotor.....I've used a whole bunch of different brands and their pretty much the same stuff.
What plugs are you going to run?

Old 10-16-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm probably going to be running side-gapped champion truck plugs. Definitely not going with any kind of platinum or irridium B.S.

Also decided to go with the Crane Fireball coil, MSD Super Conductor Wires & Accel Cap & Rotor kit.

THanks all for the imput

Old 10-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Good luck and keep us posted on the products results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Upgrade Time!