Pre-1997 Models

Tranny hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny hesitation

OK, here's the story, 95, 5.8, automatic, 77K. When I shift to reverse or drive there is a 2 second delay before it engages into the gear. I plan on a tranny flush, is there anything else you guys can think of?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:30 PM
I believe 1st and reverse are activated by the same servo, could have one going bad. Tranny problems are usually bad all the way around, the shop will always sell you on a complete rebuild.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Im with seven on this one. If you have tranny problems, you can get ready to buy one. My brother has a 98 f150 that had the same problem about 3 weeks ago. He would put it in reverse and it would hesitate and then go in gear. It finally got so bad that he had to nearly red line it for it to jump in gear. It pulled off in first fine for a while, but it then got to the point where it also hesitated and then wouldnt pull off at all. All of this happened in one day's time. Tranny place told him that the pump was gone or that a sensor in his tranny was shot. Either way, it had to be completely rebuilt. His tranny was even under warranty by the shop, so it seems to me that they wouldnt have rebuilt it unless they had to. Hope this helps somehow.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:45 AM
It could be a leaking seal in the trans, which since the trans has to come apart your going to want to rebuild it while your in there. However it could also be a leak in the valvebody hydraulics, or a bad pump. You wouldn't really need to rebuild it if it was one of those. But if it its under warrenty a rebuild is a good thing

-Jon

Quick Reply: Tranny hesitation