Pre-1997 Models

FIPK-Not to beat a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIPK-Not to beat a dead horse

I've done a search and can't find much so don't blast me for asking. I've got a 90 F-150 4x4 w/ 302-5 speed. Is the K&N FIPK (?) or something similiar worth the money. I wan't better performance-without making a lot of expensive mods. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:25 PM
The K&N trades a stock, restrictive cold air box for an unrestrictive hot air intake. Whatever you gain in flow yuo're likely to lose in thermal inefficiency. Sevelal people on this sight have rolled their own intakes, with varying degrees of success, for a LOT less money than K&N wants.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Welcome!

Mostly on another site now but do look in here, like now. lots of good info./people here. Sure helped me out. So....

As mentioned, drawing in under hood air VS outside air shouln't be overlooked. There is a diff.

A K&N drop in or other is certainly cost effective. They are cleanable/reusable. However you may not notice much diff. using this type VS stock a/f. ? At least I didn't, but my old ride was heavy.

Look for updates for the K&N FIPK & others. Some may recall, but long ago, tests on FIPK & others showed hp gains at r.wheel very small, but seems to be good bang for the buck or is it? I've seen alot of reports, so take your pick on who you believe. I didn't use one.

Remember, what goes in gotta get out. If you still have factory exhaust, look at the upgrades for exhaust. That mod. will make a diff. & you'll feel it w/just stock headers. JMO!

Good luck...OT

Old 09-21-2004, 08:31 AM
It made a HUGE improvement with a 4.9L, but the 5.0L's don't show as much of a gain. Still worth it, in my opinion.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:28 PM
I think its worth it But not for power, my increase came from mpg, went up .7 gal/mile. I just bought the filter for $40 and had the machine shop here at work build the stn stl tubes and brackets for me. If you have a way to build it yourself you will save a couple hundred

Old 09-28-2004, 06:45 PM
You can make your own FIPK...
All you need is the filter and 2 6" long pieces of 3" exhaust pipe.
Filter is RF-1012 (Summit Racing Part # is KNN-RF-1012)

Here's a how-to if you want all the details.
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...10-album-31488

I installed the same kind on my truck and it is much much better than the stock air filter setup. And for a mere ~$50.

Quick Reply: FIPK-Not to beat a dead horse