Pre-1997 Models

Bucking F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucking F150

Hi...

I'm looking for any suggestions someone might have on trying to fix a problem with my 1990 F150. It has a 300 six cylinder engine. After it warms up -- I'll be driving along and it starts to buck -- and the engine light comes on. I drop it down a gear or up a gear and it stops bucking momentarily -- and then starts again. The problem is akin to water in the gas or a dirty fuel filter -- its as if the engine isn't getting fuel momentarily. But I recently had it tuned up -- so that shouldn't be a problem. I also had the transmission serviced and a new clutch installed and it still does it. I'll be stopped at a stoplight and drop it in gear and release the clutch to go and it sometimes takes a while to kick in. The garage ran some tests and one of the codes registered a problem with the thermometer in the past month or so.
Would it be an electrical problem. Should I try replacing the plugs and plug wires -- maybe the distributor cap?

I want to do as much troubleshooting myself before I spend a lot more money on it.

Thanks
-Ken-

Old 09-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try disconnecting the egr valve, which will show a code but drive it anyway to see if the problem stops. Let me know if this solves it, and we can go from there.

Marlin

Quick Reply: Bucking F150