Pre-1997 Models

Different Starting Problems 95 5.8L

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Different Starting Problems 95 5.8L

Thanks to all for the starting help. My truck starts fine even when warmed up most of the time. BUT: Occasionally and intermittantly I am still having a hard time with what I think is the ignition ....
I'll put the key in the ignition, turn it to start and nothing happens except a "click".
The battery level looks good, the battery light is on, but nothing happens when I turn the key all the way over....
I jiggle the key, flip it around and sometimes it works. If I let the truck rest for an hour it usually starts up fine without a hesitation...
Every time I have tried to show my mechanic what is going on it will start, so he just shrugs and tells me to bring it in if it gets worse!
Is there a diagnostic that I can direct my mechanic to try to find this problem?
Getting stranded is no fun!

Old 08-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Had the same problem with my 93,would start up then nothing just a click battery good cables ok ground good even added one ,starter was new rebuid so wasnt that so i thought.Wrong ,starter selenoid was hanging up and would cause the problem intermittantly.I found it when i dropped the starter to check the connections when i put it back it started rigt up so i removed and had the auto parts store bench test after the third time it locked up and wouldnt engage (starter was 2mos old )replaced with another and has worked fine for 3mos now.I was told the quality of the rebuilds is poor and it often happens it was warranteed for 12mos so it was a freebe except for my time,good luck hope its your problem and an easy fix.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks!
I'll definitely get the Starter bench-tested....
I have recently checked the battery: Good.
Cables: Good
Alternator: Good
I just had a tune up including new plugs, wires, caps and rotor.
And the timing was checked with no adjustment needed.

So I am getting down to the starter and electrical system. I am fairly certain that my starter is a rebuild so that may be the culprit...
If that is the case, I may spend a bit more for an OEM part...

Also, This only happens after the truck has been running for a while and I need to restart after it has not cooled down such as a trip to the market etc... And it only occasionally happens.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Thats exactly how mine started then it would do it in the morning and finally start after several tries then again days later ,drove me nuts.When it does it try tapping it with a small hammer while someone tries the key,if it starts you just confirmed the problem ,let us know how you make out,by the way i hear oem starters are a hefty price.Good luck

Old 09-01-2004, 02:02 PM
I had problems starting it this morning and did the "tap test"...
That's it!

I am replacing the starter and relay today....
The OEM is twice the price so I am taking my chances with a rebuilt unit...

Old 09-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Glad it worked out for you,these boards are great for sharing info on problems we had with our trucks ,it saves time and money and we all learn from each other...

Quick Reply: Different Starting Problems 95 5.8L