Pre-1997 Models

No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Spark

I have a 1996 F-150 with a TFI-IV (remote ICM) ignition system. The engine cranks over but there is no spark at the coil. I managed to get the truck started one time after re-charging the battery but the truck ran poorly when reaching speeds close to 50mph (no acceleration). It has not restarted after that and I have been troubleshooting.

I replaced the ignition control module, and also installed a used distributor assembly to no avail. There is 12V at the coil and the primary and secondary resistances on the coil are within tolerances. I also checked the ICM voltage at pin#6 (PIP) and noticed the voltage is only .6VAC when it should be 3.0-8.5VAC. The voltage reading didn't change when I disconnected the PCM.

I am not sure where to go at this point but I am thinking that I may have a problem with the PCM or the new ICM or any of the engine sensors. I thought that I could eliminate the coil based on my previous readings but I am thinking that there still could be a problem with it but I don't know how to check.

One other note is that the fuel pump runs when the key is turned so I know the is power to the PCM. I tried to retrieve trouble codes from the PCM but there aren't any since I took the battery out at one point.

I am confused and any response would be well appreciated.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like the coil to me. It may test okay, and still be bad. Especially the way it cuts out under load. The only real option is to replace it with a known good one. If you can borrow one, that would be cheapest, but I'm 98% convinced that replacing the coil will solve your problem.

Quick Reply: No Spark