Pre-1997 Models

Mustang Motor in 96 F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang Motor in 96 F150

What has to be changed to put a 5.0 Mustang motor in a 1996 F150? Oilpan, front accesories??? Are they MAss air already? I am looking to buy a high mileage work/hunt truck and i want to know what i am getting into with a high mileage truck.

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Do a search in these forums, i think it has been gone over many times. One thing you will want to do though is change the camshaft. The mustang had a cam designed more for horsepower and the truck has more of a torque/towing cam.

-Jon

Old 08-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Do a search in these forums, i think it has been gone over many times. One thing you will want to do though is change the camshaft. The mustang had a cam designed more for horsepower and the truck has more of a torque/towing cam.

-Jon

Old 08-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Ok, ok. This is the problem. I am getting conflicting info from my searches (which is why i posted this anyway).
What do i need to put a 95 5 liter in a 96 F150?
Here is what i need to know:
1. Will i need to change the oil pan?
2. Will I need to put in a Mustang processor. If so, will it work with the transmission?
3. Do i need to change the Distrubutor?
4. Any other headaches that i might run into?
This is assuming that the 96 302s are SFI and MassAIr (is this right?)
I am looking to buy a 96 with a high mileage motor and just getting the details before i buy it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2004, 08:21 AM
The 96 is OBD-II. The processor and wiring harness are not compatible with 95 down, so you have to retain all your current electronics. That means that there will be some additional sensors on the 96 engine and several of the sensors may have different connectors. Be perpared to swap some minor bits and pieces from the old engine to the new. The basic engine should be the same.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Cool

Answers:

1) - Yes, mustang oil pan will not allow the motor to sit down correctly into engine bay of the truck.

2) - You should be able to leave all of the electronics in the '96 and like StrangeRanger said, there may be a few sensors that you may need to swap out from the '96 motor.

3) - I wouldn't think so as they should be in the same location and I believe that they are all the same.

4) - Camshaft is the biggest one that directly comes to mind but that has been already mentioned here.

Another option is to take that high mileage motor and get it re-built back to close to stock or change a few pieces for extra performance. That would all depend upon whether you have the '95 motor or not too.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Quick Reply: Mustang Motor in 96 F150