Pre-1997 Models

hydraulic clutch...slave cylinder appears to be rocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hydraulic clutch...slave cylinder appears to be rocking

Howdy folks.

I just bought a 1985 F-150 for 200 bucks! I doubled the value (and then some) with some new rubber all the way around, and now I have a pretty cool wheelbarrow/work truck.

It's got the 4.9L i-6. No speed demon.

The only real problem that I can find that will have to have immediate attention is that it is REALLY hard to put into gear....sometimes more difficult than others.

I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I can tell it's got a hydraulic clutch with a slave cylinder and that slave cylinder appears to be moving at BOTH ends when the pedal is pushed. The rod comes out in the front, of course. In the back, it looks like it's rocking probably more than 1/2" towards the port side.

My guess is that the rocking should not be happening. I would suspect that rocking is robbing the slave cylinder of some of its pushing power.

Can anybody confirm that suspicion?

Also, can anybody explain to me how the cylinger is attached to that big metal bracket? Mine does not appear to be super tight on the bracket, but I couldn't really tighten it up just by twising. But there weren't any visible nuts (that I could see, anyway) holding it on there, either.

I think it's possible that I won't have to spend any money on this little issue. I may not have to buy any parts at all if I can just figure out how to solidify the attachment of the cylinder to the bracket.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on a lot of the older fullsize m/t trucks the fire wall actually starts to flex causing hard shifting & ocassionaly it will not start because the clutch position switch will not slide far enough...ford makes two different fixes for this problem-
1. a small bracket that bolts up to the firewall from inside the cab under the dash...@$4.00
2. a larger plate that is welded to the firewall @$130.00

depending on how bad the flex is many can be solved with the small bracket.

Quick Reply: hydraulic clutch...slave cylinder appears to be rocking