Pre-1997 Models

FIPK & Cat Back Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIPK & Cat Back Help

Greetings! As the proud owner of a '91 F150 (5.0) I'm interested in doing a couple mods to increase performance and mileage.

I'd like to install an FIPK or perhaps just a K&N filter and am considering either an Edelbrock or Gibson cat-back system. I'm curious if these mods will work with the stock computer. I'd like to stay away from getting a chip if at all possible and am dead-set on running 87 octane. I live in Northeast Texas, where temps frequently reach 100+ in the summer. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary White

Old 07-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Both mods work well on the 302s. For the intake there are several home brewed solutions that will perform well, from drilling and/or cutting the lower part of the airbox, to open filters. PKRWUD used an open element and flipped his intake hoses. That looks like a great setup for speed density trucks.

I've got the Gibson single side swept on my truck and I've been happy with it. Quiet, and gains in the midrange. No losses to low end that I could detect. I went for the stainless for long term durability.

Another cheap mod is underdrive pulleys. You can get them for $100 or less just about anywhere. In haste I picked up some powder coated FRPP pulleys at the dealer for $99, but you can get them cheaper.

Most 302's will also tolerate more initial timing, which seems to help with low end torque.

Right now the Pre-97 forum is a bit slow, but it goes in cycles. Do a search and you'll find a lot of input from the busier days as well as pics in some cases.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Welcome! I have a 92, some of the mod's I liked you have mentioned, I did not go with a cat back but did go with dual exhaust and ceramic headers, (removed my cat's) also the FIPK, both helped with mileage and a little extra power, I did the underdrive pulleys and did not care for them to much, they are cheap and easy though so you won't lose anything if you try them. I also advanced my timing a few degrees and always run midgrade or better, you will not be able to run 87 on a chip or be able to run 87 and advance your timing more than 2-3 deg.
Good luck, be sure to post what you do and whether or not you like it.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:39 AM
You're talking 12-17rwhp probaly too.

I'd highly consider a high flow cat inplace of the dual cat setup stock too. More power and better sound.

Also, for sure make your own intake...cheaper.

I dont' like pulleys as they give you an undercharge at idle...that's why I tossed mine. I have e-fans now, same power gains too.

Quick Reply: FIPK & Cat Back Help