Pre-1997 Models

93 F150 wont start most of the time

Old 07-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 F150 wont start most of the time

Hi All,

I have a 93 f150, straight 6 no ac

I went to start my truck this morning and when I turn the key on I hear the fuel pump and the solinoid click but nothing else. If I keep trying it starts sometimes and when it does it runs fine. The starter seems ok and sounds good when it does start so I dont think its that

Where should I start looking? If I try to start it without the clutch in I dont get the relay click so I know that switch is working.

Thx in advance for any help

-Keith

Old 07-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Possible it could be a bad ground on the starter, maybe check to make sure the starter bolts are tight. Or you could have a bad ground between the engine and chassis, I would check for power on the solenoid when attempting to start.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:15 PM
If you have the long ground cable which terminates at the starter mountwith an intermediate lug that grounds to the chassis, that may be the problem. They tend to corrode at the intermediate ground. I Replaced mine with a long cable without intermediate point which runs directly to the starter mount and then a second shorter cable which runs from the starter mount up to the chassis ground. So far, so good.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Awsome thx, Ill take a look at that ground. seems like a bad connection somewhere and rust is abundant in this truck

-Keith

Old 07-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by StrangeRanger
If you have the long ground cable which terminates at the starter mountwith an intermediate lug that grounds to the chassis, that may be the problem. They tend to corrode at the intermediate ground. I Replaced mine with a long cable without intermediate point which runs directly to the starter mount and then a second shorter cable which runs from the starter mount up to the chassis ground. So far, so good.
Had the same problem. Did like above and no problem starts now.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:24 PM
My 93 150 302 4x4 did the same to me ,drove me crazy had a new starter and selenoid so i figured ground also,put new ones on and nothing selenoid clicked but no cranking then it would work for a day or two .Turned out to be the new starter (2mos old).Check your starter by lightly tapping it with a hammer this will free the sticking gear and see if it starts you can have someone try to start it while you are doing it chances are it will start,then you got it solved.Ive been told the quality of replacement parts is terrible as far as starters and its a common problem.GOOD LUCK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 F150 wont start most of the time