Pre-1997 Models

fuel pump - rear works, front doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuel pump - rear works, front doesn't

Hi, all...

I think my front fuel pump went out. I turned the key, and the pump made a feeble whirring noise (not the usual strong whine), and a few miles later stopped working (engine stalled). I switched to the rear tank, and things work fine. The rear pump still makes the correct noise when I turn the key, but the front doesn't make any noise anymore.

Where to start?

Old 07-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Start at the fuel pump selector swtch. If it sends 12v to either pump then everything from the battery to the selector is OK. If the switch is sending 12v to the front pump then the switch is OK. Trace the wires, look for breaks, etc.

If everything is Ok then it's time to drop the tank and swap pump modules.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Ah...thanks!

Dropping the tank does NOT excite me. My back is still recovering from doing the front end bushings. UGH!!!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:51 PM
have you made any headway on your front tank issue? i have 1992 XLT - same setup as yours drivetrain wise. my front tank/pump now makes NO noise at all - and does not work at all either. back tank is working good - so far.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:13 PM
made any progress?

I have a '91 F-150 and I have the same problem (rear is go and front is a no go). The wiring harness runs along the driver's side frame rail and up into the engine compartment on the driver's inner fender. I can find all of the correct wire leads as they exit the harness (two were completely melted and brittle). The wiring doesn't appear to agree with the manual that I bought. I think it's time to drop the tank and look for a short at the pump. I don't want to re-wire things if it re-creates a hot short at the fuel tank. Have you guys made any progress on your problems?

Old 08-15-2004, 08:28 PM
I have a 92 XLT and I have the same problem. There actually was a recall regarding this issue. Hope this helps. Maybe the pump is working, but the fuel is getting transfered back? I don't, I could be way off. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm

click on get summary

b.t.w. There are other recalls that might be of use to some of you.

Quick Reply: fuel pump - rear works, front doesn't