Pre-1997 Models

switching to mustang computer HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
switching to mustang computer HELP!

I have a 1994 F150 with a 302 factory mass air and an automatic transmission. When I rebuilt the motor Crane cams told me that a mustang camshaft would work fine, all I had to do was make sure to rewire the plug wires into the H.O. order. It seems to work fine. I have since heard that I have sequential injector pulse instead of batch pulse that was used in earlier trucks. I am worried that I am losing some performance. Is it possible to switch to a 94 or 95 mustang computer? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-12-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm confused here. I thought MAF 5.0 engines used the same 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order as 5.0 HO and 351 engines. If that's the case, the HO cam should be plug and play. Even if your injector order is different, it's not costing you much, if any, HP. It might raise your emissions by a hair though. At 4000 RPM, each injector fires once every .030 seconds. The fuel will easily remain in suspension that long.

The Mustang computer is unlikely to work at any rate, especially if the trannies don't match. You would need to get a copy of the EVTM for your truck and for the donor Mustang and compare the pin-outs on the computer to be sure. Even then there may be enough differences in internal parameters due to weight, etc. that you would have more problems than enough.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:13 PM
I agree; you should already have the correct firing order. Don't swap ECM's, either. You should be fine. Are you having any drivability problems?

Quick Reply: switching to mustang computer HELP!