Pre-1997 Models

Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 05:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question

Well I took my truck into the shop today to get an oil change and for them to look at it b/c it was running rough, when they get done they tell me that there is not much they can do for my truck b/c of the miles on it, ok I knew that, then they tell me the reason its running rough is b/c the throttle body gets oil in it or something and the guy shows me how to clean it, cool, then he said there is 4 things I can do about it #1 rebuild it, #2 get an old ford mustang engine, #3 get a new crate engine, or #4 clean it every 5-6 months or sooner b/c over more miles it will get worse, so now to my point should I just rebuild it or go with a new engine, I know its personal preference and $$$ but just looking for some good input.

oh btw ive got 134,000 miles

Thanx

Nick

Old 05-31-2004, 12:42 AM
Which engine is in it?

Old 05-31-2004, 09:03 AM
If he said get an old mustang engine i'm assuming your truck has a 302. I would rebuild the engine thats in there, but a crate engine will cost you a lot less in labor if you can find one cheap that has some sort of warrenty.

I would try replacing the pcv valve on your truck, that can stop a lot of the oil from going back up into the air cleaner for the time being.

-Jon

Old 05-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Ford4ever
If he said get an old mustang engine i'm assuming your truck has a 302. I would rebuild the engine thats in there, but a crate engine will cost you a lot less in labor if you can find one cheap that has some sort of warrenty.

I would try replacing the pcv valve on your truck, that can stop a lot of the oil from going back up into the air cleaner for the time being.

-Jon
Yea its got the 302. they did change the pcv valve last time still did the same. the guy said go to autozone b/c they have good deals

Old 05-31-2004, 10:56 PM
The autoparts stores do have cheap engines with a warrenty, just remember the warrenty only covers the engine, you are responsible for paying the labor if it has to be replaced. I'm not sure how good those engines are inspected when they are assembled, i've never installed one. I have installed quite a few ATK and Jasper engines without a problem.

-Jon

Old 06-01-2004, 12:24 AM
Have you checked the TPS? I have 160,000 on the clock and it runs great. Also people keep claiming SeaFoam will clean it right out.

I am going to run to Lappen's or find a NAPA around me since AutoZOne doesn't seem to stock it.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:41 PM
I installed a Chevy straight six into an older pickup a few years back. The customer got the engine through the local Napa store. Got it all finished, except for the plugs. Was filling the radiator, and water started to trickle out the #4 spark plug hole.

Just felt like sharing.

Quick Reply: Question