Pre-1997 Models

fuel system woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry fuel system woes

I am getting close to my wits end here and need some help. Just picked me up a nice little '86 LWB F-150, 302, AOD, 4x4. Driving it home from the Dallas metro area and it began a wild chug-a-lug ride telling me that a massive tune-up was in the poor things future. Got it home, got to checking it out. Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filters, pcv valve all got the touch and replacement. And yet still it was the wild cowboy ride. Now here is where it gets kinda wierd....because it would get WORSE when I would switch to the rear tank. Well...I decided to point a dirty finger at the HP pump on the frame rail...after swapping IT the bloody thing wouldn't start at ALL. It has now been 3 days....I have discovered that there is a blasted canister filter located in the diapraghm/check valve system, and I assume that it opperates fine....can one bad in-tank pump make the truck run horrible when pumping from EITHER tank? Please help this poor soul.....My 92 bronco was sooooo much easier to work on....only one tank. :P

Old 05-28-2004, 06:31 PM
well, since I last whined on here about my problems I discovered what the heck it was....

there seems to be a need to place a rubber isolation hose between the in-tank pump and the tube going out of the tank. well....these tubes (yes, both of them) were decomposed badly...now...I know that gas can do this...but only given a much longer time than I would have thought...could it have been some type of additive that someone put in the tank prior to me getting it?

but anyway...it matters little....I am going to have to check the 4x4 system...

Old 06-07-2004, 03:39 AM
The ol' dual tank setup! Man did I have some problems changing the sending units in mine and dealing with mad fuel leaks.

Turns out the old gaskets were stuck to my old senders and I didn't see them. OH man, did that make me angry.

Glad ya got it fixed.

Quick Reply: fuel system woes