Pre-1997 Models

Loss of Power, oil in air cleaner, runs poor cold.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loss of Power, oil in air cleaner, runs poor cold.

Hi..

Not using my truck much, as it's motorcycle season.. THIS may be the problem.. It'd been a "daily driver" since I bought it last November.

86 F 150 4x4. 300 I-6, 4 speed, looks "all stock" with carb..

The EGR "seems" disconnected. Maybe there was an "air pump" that was removed? It looks like there's been some vacuum re-routing.

During the winter, I'd drive the expressway between my girlfriends place and mine, routinely cruising ~75mph without issue, and feeling like "more" was there, but not needed..

Now, I can BARELY find 65-70 without a tailwind and a downward slope.

Also.. I find she needs a hit of "ether" in the air cleaner snorkel, to get her started, from cold. She cranks fine, just doesn't run..

I replaced a fuel filter, and air filter.. The fuel filter didn't appear "restricted" but there was a bit of oil in the air cleaner housing, about a half ounce, and it looked like an aresolized fog of oil had come out of the breather element. I changed the pcv valve, although the old one appeared functional (a stem broke off as I lifted the old one out, but the 'ball' rattled)..

I see NO smoke, when the engine starts.. It runs erratically cold at idle, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything in particular when running warm, or 'opened up..' I'm not seeing a great change in fuel usage, or oil usage. It uses a fair amount of both.. 10 mpg, with 1 qt ~500-700 miles?

My thoughts are timing, valvetrain?? I haven't pulled the spark plugs to see what they're looking like. I'm hoping maybe the previous owner (who reportedly changed them before I bought her) put in ones that are "too cold" and they're not up to snuff..

It's a $500 "work truck.." It's beat to hell, and rusting.. Moreover, I'm okay with all of that..

My question is twofold

1) Are there reasonably simple things, that I should be looking at, in terms of diagnosis and or repair??

2) Do I need to worry that my beast will be DOA soon???

Again.. If you tell me she's shot, I unbolt some stuff, part it out on eBay, and break even, more than likely.. I planned on driving her till she dropped.. But I sorta fell in love with the old girl..

I don't want to neglect her, but I don't want to chase good money with bad...

This is a great board, I'm sure I'll hear something worth listening to.

AJ RN

Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 PM
I'd say definitely pull the plugs and see what they look like. The oil in the air cleaner coming through the pcv system could be from excessive blowby. I'd do a compression check, low compression could also cause the hard starting and loss of power. However, mechanical problems are rare with these engines if they were reasonably maintained.

The hard starting and loss of power could also be a carburator problem but you'll have to find someone else to help you with that, i only know fuel injection

-Jon

Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 PM
I have to agree with ford4ever, although I would also spray the intake manifold (where ever there is a gasket) with ether or brake cleaner. If there is a change in rpms then you have a bad gasket (causing it to run lean).

Old 05-27-2004, 02:10 AM
I pulled the first 4 plugs..

Hmm.. Bosch Platinums.. The guy who I bought it from REALLY tried to give me a good truck!

All looked "good" one looked a little carboned, but none were oil fouled..

While I realize I have blowby, what are the chances that it's valvetrain (head gasket, stuck valve, etc) causing the problem.. It's all but an open exhaust.. Would I hear a lifter ticking??

Have some ether laying in stock.. I'll try the "gasket check."

Then, going to test compression, pulling the other two plugs then..

I'll let you know..

AJ RN

Old 05-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Yeah, a collapsed lifter mould make a rattle noise.

Old 05-29-2004, 02:10 AM
...Found a new set of Stewart Warner Vac and Compression guages on ebay..

I'll test compression, and vac, when those arrive, and I'll report results..

Tried the "ether" check, found no RPM changes, other than when shot into the air cleaner (decreased idle).

I'm hoping this is still something simple enough I can fix it.. This truck has sorta bit into me..

AJ RN

Old 06-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Compression and Vac testers arrived yesterday..
Compression in all (6) Cylinders above 100, range 100-115.

Vac initially was ~15, Hmm.. Hey look at that..

(distributor "LOOOOSE")

Adjusted to vac guage around 18... Hmm, running MUCH better, and now oil no longer noticeable out the breather..

So.. For now, even if I do get a "little" oil, I'm going to ignore it.. '

I'm ashamed to admit, I was running around "retarded..."

...not to be offensive to those with no choice.

Thanks for your help...

Will need to get a timing light, to be more "precise" in my measurement.. (next purchase, since I won't be buying a motor!)

AJ RN

Quick Reply: Loss of Power, oil in air cleaner, runs poor cold.