Pre-1997 Models

Cruise Control will not operate

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control will not operate

I am sure someone else here has had a problem with their crusie as well.. Mine on my 1995 will not work whatsoever. All of the fuses are good.. My Chilton has NOTHING about troubleshooting the cruise control either. I did check all of my brake lights and all are good, both filiments.. It's a five speed and I verified the switches on the brake pedal and the clutch change states when depressed too. Can someone tell me what the switch on the end of my master cylinder is for? It;'s not the level switch, it's in the pressure port of the cylinder on the very end - this switch is always closed, foot on the brake or off...
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Old 05-25-2004, 08:48 AM
On my truck it was the switch on the steering wheel. The switch on your master cylinder could be thr pressure switch that shuts off the cruise when you apply the brake. It may be bad if thats the case causing your problem.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Are you talking the switch or CLOCK RING behind the wheel?

Old 05-26-2004, 04:42 PM
The on/off switch on the steering wheel was the problem for me.

Old 05-28-2004, 12:06 PM
AWH
The cruise control would not function on my '94 F150 and I had the clock ring (inside the steering wheel) replaced and then the cruise control did function.

Old 05-31-2004, 01:56 AM
Can someone tell me where to get the troubleshooting instructions for this... They are not in my manual or the Ford manual I have from Helms.... I hate to guess..
Truck has 97,000 miles on it - not a lot for a clock spring to fail but it certainly could be...

Old 06-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Asswipe
My cruise control died. A week later, my brake warning light in the dash stayed LIT. I checked the brake fluid, and to my surprise, there was very little fluid in the container above the master cylinder, it was leaking. I replaced the sensor on the end of the master cylinder which was causing the leak. After refilling the container with additional brake fluid, the light on my dash turned off and my cruise control worked.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:22 AM
thanks for the reply... My guess would be that the switch on the end of the master cylinder should be open with no brake applies, and closed with the brakes applied... Have no idea what it works but I guess if I disconnect it since mine is always closed it may tell me if it works the cruise control? I'll try tomorrow and post my findings.....

Shawn

Old 06-08-2004, 10:39 PM
This might not help you any, but on my ranger i had a few years ago, I had the same problem, it tured out to be the speed seneor on the tranny--I was changing the engine oil and saw it, plugged it in and it worked, and my gas mileage went up since the computer knew i was moving.---------just something to check, and it may not apply to your vehicle.
Brian

Old 06-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Interesting, mine stopped working last week when I tried it. I'll try all your suggestions and see if it fixes mine this weekend.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Same problem here. I have a 1994 and the cruise is dead. Actually, I've noticed that the sensor in front of the reservoir on top of the master cylinder is leaking a bit. I'll have to try replacing it. If anyone has had any luck yet, PLEASE let me know. Also, what is involved with replacing the clock ring?
Thanks.

Also, where exactly is the speed sensor on the tranny? I have been getting pretty lousy mileage (I think) and maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:26 AM
I replaced the speed control deactivator (the switch in front of the master cylinder). Still no cruise. The fuses are all OK. Hmmm... Anyone have any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Cruise Control will not operate