Pre-1997 Models

Dana 60 Swap & 4.10 Fuel Economy (2 parter)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dana 60 Swap & 4.10 Fuel Economy (2 parter)

First one, has anyone swapped a Dana 60 out for their 8.8" rear end?? I know the wheel bolt holes are different but other than that. This rear-end came up extremely cheap ($50), it is out of a working '82 F250 with a 302 and auto transmission. Just hate to toss it aside.

Second one, for the guys that have swapped 4.10 gears into their 8.8's with a 302 or 351, did your fuel mileage go up or down ??? I know it seems strange for someone to ask about this but I do alot of highway driving during the summertime and need the fuel economy with the switch but on the other hand it will help launch this 5000 lbs truck when playing around on the street and at the strip when we go. Please list what your originial rear-end gear was before the swap. I have talked to a few people and they say that it will go down but I believe that is based on a swap done in a car. I am trying to meet this in the middle of performance but not to kill the fuel economy for my highway driving.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 05-06-2004, 12:26 PM
I would definitely go for the dana 60 especially if you are going to build up a strong engine (however,the 8.8 is a good rearend). This will help give you some piece of mind knowing that whatever you are doing the rear end will be up to the task. As for gas mileage, mine went up when I got 4.10's, but I also have 33" tires (started with 3.55). If you have a lift and tall tires, gears are a must. Dean, is your truck a 4X4? because if it is you will need a matching front end, but the F-250 used leaf springs and the F-150 uses coils. I have also wondered if you can just use the front 8 lug spindles out of the 250 and put them in the front end because they both used dana 44 front ends? Guess I might have a new project for the truck.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Cool

Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.

Truck is a 4x2 !!! I have talked to a couple of people at a dealership and they said that I probably would have to change out the spindles as well which could be a big pain in the *** since the F250 spindles are probably bigger for most of the attaching parts. I was just hoping to change out the rotors and get the correct bearings for them but one of the guys said that the stops on the spindles may not be big enough to stop the rotor from sliding on too far. Not sure.

Dean

Old 05-07-2004, 11:10 PM
You will have to change more than spindles on the front. 3/4 ton spindles will not bolt on to 1/2 ton steering knuckles. If you want 8 lugs on the front to match your 8 lug rear you would probably be better off finding a complete 2wd 3/4 ton front end.

On a side note- have you thought about your speed sensor on your current 8.8 rear end? Your dana 60 wont have that. Without that you will not have a speedometer or ABS, and your transmission will do funny stuff, because it wont know how fast your truck is going.

Old 05-08-2004, 01:42 AM
Cool

DDDDaaaaammmmnnnnnn, didn't think about that Ford302Guy but then again that is why I am a member on a site like this !!!! There is always someone else out there that will think of something different other than what I have thought of.

Keep the comments coming and what about other 4.10 swaps, there has to be others out there that have done this.

Dean

Old 05-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a larger rear end (bigger axles, ring and pinion gear) will take more power to turn, maybe not a lot but if mpg is an issue i cant help but think that the larger rear and with 4.10 will hurt mpg

i think that with the tire size you have , that 3.55 are a good gear, remeber that alot of the people running 4.10's have 17" to 20" rims and tires that are 31 to 33" tall. i know that JMC is not a fan of the 8.8 but you dont have a 5 speed and probably dont off -road like he does....if it isnt broke, dont fix it.

i didnt know the 94's had a speed sensor, thought it was an issue of changing a gear in the trans and the speedo was correct and it is all good.

Old 05-09-2004, 09:21 PM
they started putting the speed sensors for ABS in the rear ends in 87 i believe. in 92 it also got the duty of running the speedo and also the trans if you had an electronic one like an E4OD. When i had my 89 i swapped to 4.10s after i put 33" tires on it. mileage went down a bit but i had a 5spd and they dont have as high of OD that the autos have. it was worth it to me to sacrifice the MPG because it made the thing get out of its own way again.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
consider that he runs a tire that is about 29.5" tall with 3.55. you run 4.10's with 33. i dont have the formula but i bet you have a similar ratio.
i have heard that that going to 4.10 on the newer trucks does not hurt milage, but take my 2001 supercrew with 3.55 and a tire that is 31" tall, then i put 285/60/18 on it and now it has a 31.5" tall making it worse (but it looks good ) so stock the tire is 1.5" taller than Deans set up.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Cool

This rear-end option is out anyhow. It turns out that it is a full floater and no one in town makes axles for it. Oh well, better luck next time but we are still going to see if it fits without any major modifications just to see what the mileage would be with the 4.10's.

Dean

Old 02-19-2005, 12:52 AM
This is an old thread and i dont know if i will get a reply, but here goes. I have a 99 F150. it is a 5 speed, 5 cylinder. I have a 3.08 gears from the factory. I want to upgrade to a 3.55. I have looked in to changing out the gears. I found a guy that has a entire 3.55 rear axel, it is from a 92 F150. Will this bolt up to my truck, and does it have the same electric sensor in the differental?

Quick Reply: Dana 60 Swap & 4.10 Fuel Economy (2 parter)