Pre-1997 Models

Slack in My Steering Wheel Need help pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slack in My Steering Wheel Need help pleaseeeeeeeeeee

hey guys i have a 1994 ford 4x4 pickup and just as with every other ford truck ive owned it has devoloped slack in my steering wheel when im driving so my question is,is there any kind of adjustments i can make to get it out and if so how do i go about doing it and if not what would probably have to be replaced to get it out.Sorry if this question sounds dumb but im not exactly an ace mechanic as you can probably tell thanks a million in advance for any suggestions

Allen

Old 04-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Yes, there is, but the instructions on how to do so is pretty involved in the Haynes book. I believe your supposed to pull a hose off the pump and put it in a bucket and take your steering wheel off (the part where it's pretty difficult if you have an airbag) and turn the wheel all the way to the left and then back 45 deg. then put on an inch pound torque wrench on the column steering nut and then loosen the lock nut on top of the steering box and tighten the stud a little and then check the reading on the torque wrench (which you have to turn back and forth (I forgot how many degrees) to read the wrench and adjust to factory specs.

I have not done this yet, but will this weekend. I might just tighten it a little and see what happens (instead of taking the airbag off).
Unless someone tells me here about my other post, I might have to find out for myself on the different gearbox ratio.

Last edited by Mike12pt; 04-22-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:57 PM
I've adjusted mine twice since i bought it. Jack the front tires up off the ground and support it with some jack stands. Loosen the lock nut on top of the steering box and turn the screw in the middle of the nut clockwise until there is just a little bit of play in the steering wheel. Then turn the wheel all the way from side to side and make sure that it doesn't bind anywhere, if it does it's too tight and you need to back the screw off a little.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Slack in My Steering Wheel Need help pleaseeeeeeeeeee