Pre-1997 Models

Coolant Recovery Bottle Throwup

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coolant Recovery Bottle Throwup

O.K. About two weeks ago I had a serpentine belt break on the way home. As luck would have it, it broke right in front of the parts store. Buy the belt, put it on, go home. Now truck seems to run in the Normal range as it always did, right about on the "N", except when I cut it off after about (5) minutes it starts to gurgle and the Coolant Recovery bottle overflows. Radiator is new so I don't think it is clogged. Water pump is about (2) years old. I have read some old posts and I am seeing the Fan Clutch maybe can cause something like this?? Could the Serpentine belt breaking damage the fan clutch to a point so as to cause it to malfunction?? I mean it was wrapped all around it, I had to cut it off. I don't want to supply the "GARDEN PATH" so you guys tell me what you think.

Thanks,
guzzler96

Old 04-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Unhappy

Hey come on guys. Doesn't anybody out there have some opinions on this???

Thanks in advance,
guzzler96

Old 04-24-2004, 12:37 PM
yes, it could cause the clutch to malfunction. Thing is I would expect it to keep the fan engaged, just destroy your fuel mileage. I would recheck the belt routing and make sure everything is turning the right direction.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:35 PM
I have rechecked the belt routing today and it is O.K.

Old 04-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Asswipe
My fan clutch has been broken for 8 months and I never had any problems with coolant boiling over. I eventually replaced the clutch a month ago. My coolant overflowed once 3 years ago, at which time my car was running low on coolant and had air bubbles. Just fill your radiator to the top and make sure the water pump is good. Does this happen everytime you shut off your car?

Old 04-27-2004, 12:39 PM
This may be stupid, but the overflow bottle allows the radiator to push/pull fluid between the overflow and the radiator, it would make since that it would overflow if the bottle had to much fluid in it or gurgle if it did not have enough. Have you checked the fluid level in the overflow? Just a thought

Old 04-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Arrow

I check the fluid level constantly. I wouldn't even drive it if I wasn't sure that there was enough coolant, I'm too paranoid. After it throws up I always check the level after it cools down and top it back off if necessary. I am really bumfuzzled with this problem. I am certainly hoping that it is not a leaking head gasket or something. Thanks for the input.

guzzler96

Old 04-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Does your exhaust look steamy or is there any water in the oil? The oil will look like chocalate milk if contaminated with water. The point I was making above is that the bottle is not meant to be topped of. There has to be room for the radiator to push coolant back into the bottle.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Thanks ccnseven. I will check that in the A.M. and let you know. I appreciate all the input from everyone.

Thanks,
guzzler96

Quick Reply: Coolant Recovery Bottle Throwup