Pre-1997 Models

Leak at Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak at Transfer Case

1990 F-150, auto trans, 4X4, 351 V8.

There are about 7 bolts holding the transfer case cover on with large star-shaped heads. I seem to be leaking either from two of the bolts/holes or from just below those bolts. Tried putting some of the blue silicon gasket "gunk" on the bolts and re-inserting them but no luck. Trying to get around taking the truck to a service center and paying some hefty fee for something that should be simple to fix.

Is there some fluid I can place into the transfer case that might seal the leak? Have heard that transmissions leaks can sometimes be fixed this way if they are not too bad and I used the filler/leakfixer "stuff" for a slow leak on the AC unit last year. Ac doesn't leak any more.

Would replacing the gasket be too big a job for a do-it-yourselfer?

Any advice would help.

cheers, dp

Old 04-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Save yourself a headache down the road, get it done right. A sealent is nothing but a glue, why would you knowingly put a glue in something that has a pump and moving parts??

Old 04-14-2004, 07:48 AM
I would never pour any kind of sealant in anuthing, radiator, trans, engine, I would do it right like ford4fun said. I have re-built these transfer cases before and it is a very easy job, especially if all you need to do is pull the cover and reseal it.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Is it really THAT easy to simply pull the cover on the transfer case and reseal or replace the gasket? I'm assuming I would have to drain the unit first? Stupid question maybe, but the Haynes guide I have doesn't seem to cover this very well (or I'm just too dumb to understand)!

cheers, dp

Old 04-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Pull the t-case out of the truck, there is a spring in the case that you will never get back in if you don't have it out of the truck.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Definitely pull the t-case, sorry I should have been more clear. But yes it is easy as long as you don't pull anything out.

Quick Reply: Leak at Transfer Case