Pre-1997 Models

Replaced Fan Clutch, now it Makes a Loud Whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 01:06 AM
Asswipe
Unhappy Replaced Fan Clutch, now it Makes a Loud Whine

After replacing the fan clutch about a month ago, my 5.8 would roar fairly loud when I am stopped. When I begin to move, the roar would go away. Now my fan is making a very loud whining noise when at idle and is louder than my radio. What do you think it can be?

Could the bolts be loose? I do not see any oil on the serpentine belt...

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming from the same area? Possibly a bearing in the water pump. Nothing really on the fan clutch to cause a squeel.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:14 AM
I recently had the same problem with the OE Fan Clutch. The seal broke off, and the fan was getting ready to shoot through my radiator. I went ahead and replaced it with a heavy duty fan clutch, and it shut right up. It sounds like you are having the same problem with your new fan clutch.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Asswipe
Thanks for your help. I replaced the water pump 2 days before replacing the fan clutch so it sounds like one of the two is defective. I may try and put on my old fan clutch and see if the noise continues afterwards to determine the cause.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:01 PM
When I replaced mine a while ago it seemed to be locked even when new for about 500 miles. If it's your clutch it should still be under warranty I'd hope.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Asswipe
Hello,

Just wanted to say that the whining noise was from the belt tensioner. The belt tensioner pulley seized yesterday and caused a mess. After replacing the tensioner and replacing the broken belt, the engine is lexus quiet and it feels like it has more power.

What I learned,

If you hear a whine - examine all the pulleys with the belt off. If the belt is hot to the touch, then something is causing friction and one of the pulleys is about to seize.

Have a good Friday!

Quick Reply: Replaced Fan Clutch, now it Makes a Loud Whine