Pre-1997 Models

95 F-150 302 Manual Trans - Jerking or Missing in Cruise or around town

Old 04-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 95 F-150 302 Manual Trans - Jerking or Missing in Cruise or around town

I just bought a 95 F-150 4X4 with the 302 and 5-speed yesterday. The truck rocks but it has an issue that I didn't pick up on in the test drive. I guess I didn't drive it far enough. It seems to jerk or miss or something while I'm shifting through the gears as well as when I'm cruising around town. It seems that it does it more when I'm deeper in a gear (lower RPM's), but that is not the only time it does it. It seems like it would be fuel related or something but I don't know with all the emissions stuff and the computer and all that. Additionally, it seems when I step on the pedal to rev the engine a little, it is slow to idle back down. Not way slow, but slower than my jeep. My previous vehicle was an 81 Jeep that was basically just an engine with no emissions equipment or electronics, and to be honest, I'm scared because I don't know if I can work on this thing with all the electronics. I've read some threads in here about the Throttle Position Sensor, EGR Valve, alternator harness arcing, etc., but I guess I should try to read the code to see where that leads me. Where can I get a code reader for this truck and a manual to decipher what the code tells me? Where should I start with trying to address this problem? The gentleman I bought it from had the injectors cleaned recently because he felt some "flat spots" when accelerating and thought it was good to go. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know its got to be something fairly simple. I'm going to get a Chilton tomorrow.
Thanks very much ahead of time for any feedback.
Tom

Old 04-07-2004, 05:53 AM
My initial response was going to be to suggest adding a large amount of injector cleaner to a quarter tank of fuel, and see if that helps. Might want to anyway. But since that may not be the problem, try this: Unplug the vacuum hose going to the EGR valve, and plug it. Now drive around and see if there's a difference. If there is, you'll need to make a restrictor plate for the EGR, but more on that if necessary. Try it first, and post your results.

As far as retrieving codes, I'm not sure if your truck is OBDI or OBDII. It will say on the emission label under the hood. Check it and post the answer in here.

Take care,
~Chris

Old 04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Had the exact same problem with my 95 with the 4.9l...put in a restrictor plate...but could still feel a little bit of chug....checked all the sensors and they all were within specs....wound up putting a little brass cap on the egr position sensor rod to move it about 1/8th of an inch...fooling the pcm to leave the egr closed....works great.
The egr still works when it supposed to as well.

Last edited by sdmcb; 04-07-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks for your feedback fellas. I think I got this thing fixed. It pulled a code 122 i think it was which is a TPS. I replaced the TPS, and threw on an extra rotor that I had ordered, and put on new battery cables and she runs good as new. I was so happy to have it running right. I did have a question though - the inside of the plenum behind the throttle body was absolutely filthy - I'm talking like a 1/4 inch of carbon and crap built up on it. Is there any way to clean that on the truck or would I need to pull the intake off. how hard is it to pull it off or should I get a shop to do it? -
Thanks again,
Tom

Old 04-08-2004, 12:18 PM
It's easily cleaned without disassembly.
Do you have speed-density or mass-air? It makes a difference. (It's one of the few areas where S/D is better)

Old 04-13-2004, 01:25 AM
To be honest with you, I don't know which it is. How can I tell?

Old 04-16-2004, 06:43 PM
How many tubes go from the air filter box to the throttle body?

1 = MAF
2 = SD

Old 04-21-2004, 05:18 PM
I think there are two but I'll have to look at make sure. I know there are two butterfly valves in the Throttle body, but I can't recall if one tube feeds it or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 F-150 302 Manual Trans - Jerking or Missing in Cruise or around town